RC boat - What is the best Propulsion system?

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by gibtron02, Mar 19, 2010.

1. gibtron02

gibtron02 New Member

Hello, I am working on a custom RC boat (battery powered). It is a catamaran style (2 hulls) and it is being built to carry a maximum load of 60lbs at 7mph. Based on the hull design it has been determined that the total drag force to overcome is 8.50 lbs (per hull). So I know I need a propulsion system that can give me greater than that. This is where I'm having a very difficult time determining what the best means of propulsion for my boat should be!!

I've looked into using propellors in a channel, jet drives using both a centrifugel pump and axial impeller style pump. I have no experience with this sort of thing and could use some serious advise!! Thanks in advance!!

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

if you google propcalc you should find an application that will determine the HP needed and the prop for a given hull form

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.