Silicone exhaust elbows?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by tuantom, Aug 21, 2007.

1. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

Has anyone ever used these to make a 90˚ bend in a wet exhaust behind a gasoline engine? My personal application would use a 4" - 3" reducer elbow to connect a 3" exhaust manifold to 4" thru-hull muffler tips. They are used in turbo applications all the time - They're supposed to be capable of sustained -4˚F to 392˚ F - burst pressure of 200 psi and working pressure of 50 psi.
    4-ply polyester reinforced with 3/16" wall thickness :?:

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Why not. I have normal PVC toilet pipe as exhausts although it is stainless steel for the first foot after the turbo, The rest is all PVC.

Been on now for 4 years. 250 HP each,--- Diesels though !! 4200RPM.

3. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

My water pump recently failed and temp went to 240 deg. before I noticed. I have 3" soft shell rubber exhaust hose, 2' long mounted on the exhaust risers. Hose is rated at 200 deg. I'm sure temp at hose was much higher than 200 with No problems.
    You shouldn't have any problems at all.

4. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I ordered them today.
    It hit me that even if they do fail - in the case of a water pump going out or a clog in the system somehow - I'm exiting the exhaust above the water line, so I shouldn't sink.
    I also had a water pump failure several years ago that pegged the temperature gauge before I noticed. It made the rubber hose couplings around the cast Iron elbows a little crispy; but they didn't fail either. If they're rated for 200˚, the elbow itself shouldn't get twice as hot.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.