Silicone Bronze Quarter Crown Staples ???

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by VKRUE, Feb 17, 2007.

1. VKRUE

VKRUE Just another boat lover

Hello everybody...

I've encountered a whole lot (hundreds) of 1" long quarter crown staples made of silicone bronze in my old boats roof. At the very least I THINK that they're Silicone Bronze. They certianly appear to be, (when I was removing {grinding} them from the cabin roof I noted that the color of the metal on the inside was the same as the bronze nails, they're definitely not galvanized like the staples used on other parts of the boat).

Anyway... I originally thought that I won't need to re-use this type of fastener for anything... but, now I have reconsidered.
    Does anyone know where I can get SILICONE BRONZE QUARTER CROWN STAPLES ? I have googled them with no positive results. Jamestown Dist. doesn't advertise them in their catalog or their online store.
    For some things (trim pieces) the galvanized would be acceptable but, they will rust in a few years causing the wood around them to rot as well. I would like to avoid this.

Any thoughts or suggestions ???

Thanks

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Your local Ace hardware store should carry Monel staples (a nickle alloy), though more costly then stainless, are the best thing going when you need a staple in the marine environment.

3. VKRUE

Monel staples (a nickle alloy),

Hey thanks Par... I haven't seen anything yet except galvanized. I can ask for these though.....

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I have boxes of mild steel, galvanized, stainless and Monel, all Arrow brand, from my local Ace. Ask them, they'll likely order a box or three for you.

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Attached Files:

6. VKRUE

1/4 Crown Staples

SamSam... Yes, exactly !

Sorry Par but, I think you mis-understood my description. I went to my big, brand new Ace Hardware today and asked for the Monel Staples. The guy scratched his head and pointed to the staple guns and staples. Everything that they have, and/or can get is the "T50 style" of STANDARD staple.

SamSam hit it on the nose. Those are the staples I'm looking for. I don't need boxes of them either... maybe one box, or even a half of a box. Depends how big the box is I guess. I don't intend to go "overboard" like the last guy did. I literally pulled or ground off hundreds of these things just in the cabin roof alone which measures approx. 4'6" x 5' {rectanglular}.

Thanks anyway Par.

And thank you SamSam. I looked up that website... those stainless ones will be just fine. I think I'll order me some next week.

7. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Do Not use mild steel or galvanized staples. We used phosphor bronze, epoxy coated staples. The instant heat generated from driving the staple momentarily softens the epoxy which then sets and locks in the staple legs. We used staples with 3/8" wide heads and of varying lengths to suit the job.
    It is very important to set the driving pressure so that the head is driven in flush to the surface, and the head is parallel to the grain of the ply but bridges the grain of the core. Too much pressure will cause the head to crush the underlying core and form a weak point. If you are using Epoxy glue, staples (or nails) only need to be 4" apart. Be very careful that the legs of the staples go into the underlying member, otherwise the legs of the staple will stick out through the ply and cause a splintery weak spot where water vapor can enter and start ROT. :eek:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.