silicon bronze vs stainless steel

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Ralphw, Jul 19, 2005.

1. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

The key to SS has always been keep them dry. Hell, why use them at all in water applications? Also, they DO stain and discolor with common cleaners , drinks and food dropped and accidently left on them. Soda spills are VERY bad. SS does NOT mean stainless in any way. Read some tech. specs about the various types. Bronzes and synthetics are far more reliable. That is why the glues are pushing all metal hardware out of most jobs they have enjoyed.

2. luke bronco

luke bronco Junior Member

HI just wanted to say that we are a U.S. manufacture of cut thread wood screws we can make them in any material for you with any drive from sizes ranging from #2 all the way to 24 x 6'' long and all kinds of quanties im looking to start stocking common sizes. id be have to get the chance to quote some screws for you or maybe hear your ideas on some good common sizes to start stocking hope your interested thanks Luke
    www.oemfasteners.net

3. chandler

chandler Senior Member

luke bronco: racehorse or ********?

4. jcleese01

jcleese01 New Member

Monel 400

I was reading all the posts about how silicon bronze is the better material for most applications and how stainless is not as well suited for structural purposes, but I was wondering how Monel rates as a wood screw material? I know that Monel is very corrosion resistant, and very strong but is it better than the silicon bronze, or does it rate more like the stainless.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Monel, (typically a third copper and 2/3's nickel, though 10:90 mixes are available) is a great material and is similar in strength to marine aluminum, though weighs somewhat more then steel at 530 lbs. cu. ft. It is pretty much immune from the effects of the marine environment and hull plating can be left bare. It's quite costly and should be sized on a scale similar to aluminum. I've seen monel fasteners and use staples and brads of the material, regularly, but bronze is stronger and less costly, so it's a simple choice.

6. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

In NOrway we use to say "copper rows" or spikes or clenches. Is this pure copper?

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The only roves or clench nails I've used have been copper, though I wonder if monel would make a stronger clench. Seems like it would, but likely at triple the cost.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.