Forgot to mix the epoxy primer

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mariobrothers88, Apr 26, 2022.

1. mariobrothers88

mariobrothers88 Senior Member

Hi guys I made a dumb mistake and forgot to mix the epoxy primer part a with part b and just applied part a to the boat. Now I have to remove it and paint the epoxy primer on again. The paint store recommended this paint removal agent but I tried it and it doesn't really work that well. Do you guys have any tips to remove paint? I was thinking of just sanding it but it will take a very long time. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

2. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

My condolences on having to do so much work to return to the point you were at before a moment's forgetfulness.I've never had a need to remove unmixed epoxy and can't offer definitive advice but I would begin by trying a hot air stripper on a small patch.My reasoning is that if one needs to break a bond then raising the temperature of the glue line to 95C is a good way to do so.You don't have a cured epoxy and it may be that simply softening the unmixed coating will allow a Skarsten scraper to remove the softened material.Considerable care will be needed to avoid digging the corners of the scraper in or you will be mixing some filler to make good the damage.There may be solvents that would soften the paint but I'm not keen on sharing the workspace with any that might be powerful enough to work.

3. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Bummer

Lots of rags and elbow grease.

Mild acids (vinegar) usually work well with uncured epoxy and are usually less toxic than solvents from the paint store.

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Acetone. No flames anywhere. Wear an organic mask or you'll get sick.

Sometime lacquer thinner works.

do not heat the boat or it will damage epoxy finishes

5. AlanX

AlanX Senior Member

I use white vinegar as if is skin/lungs friendly and cheap.
    It deactivates mixed (but still to set) epoxy (useful to know), but it still leaves a residue.
    Acetone works better but best to avoid if possible.
    So I would start with vinegar and finish off with acetone in your case

AlanX

fallguy likes this.
  6. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

A scraper I would think for the bulk of it, but fortunately, I've never made this mistake, so I have no idea.
    Certainly a bummer.
    I'll bet you won't do that again.
    Good luck.

7. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

I did it 3 times in a year. Each time,I figured the miserable ordeal would make me remember not to do it again. I'm starting to think 5 concussions is too many.

8. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

How did you get it off?
    Same all three times?

9. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Unfortunately I hadn't read the advice about vinegar yet. I coated the area in cabosil to make a goo thick enough to scrape off, then used a drywall scraper to get as much as I could. Then more cabosil and scrape. I finished with acetone.

BlueBell likes this.
  10. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

Metal putty knife, loose wire wheel, lots of acetone and rags. No way around it being a mess and work. I've had the privilege of doing one of my own with a base layer and did a cleanup for someone else.

11. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Stiff wirebrushwas also very helpful.

BlueBell likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.