Rudder design and rebuild help, PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Opensailor, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Opensailor

Opensailor New Member

I have just purchased a 1985 Frers 36 and need to rebuild the rudder. The previous owner hit a sand bar and "removed the lower two feet of the rudder. The stock is still straight and true so I'm not worried about that area. I would like to redesign the rudder and build a new design instead of just copying the old design.

I'm not so sure where to start. I understand NACA numbers but am having trouble getting them into a usable design and on to paper or a .dxf file so I can have the foam or wood core machined.

Anyone want to take a stab at it?

As well what construction materials would you use? Foam, wood? And what types. Would Core-cell be usable?

Thanks all, hope someone can help.

Jason

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Opensailor,
    Well I see that a lot of people have read your question and no one has replied yet.
    Is the repair structural or cosmetic, that is, are we just repairing the rudder shape or was part of the backbone of the rudder removed at the same time.

3. Phil Locker

Phil Locker Junior Member

tried to PM you, but you have that disabled.

this is what we do day in and out. www.philsfoils.com

advice is free if you have the milling done through us.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.