Should I change the shape of transom?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by exp2000, Apr 27, 2010.

1. exp2000

exp2000 New Member

Hi, I am in the process of replacing transom and stringers on my Bayliner Capri 1997. It's been suggested that I make transom bigger, to span the whole width of the hull rather than how it was originally (see pics). I am gaining anything by doing that? Is it something that you would suggest I do?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

You need to look at it and see if it failed in the 13 years it was being used (not including the wood rot), my guess is that it held up OK.

So if you make it stronger (not a bad thing), what do you gain?

In most rebuilds you can just replace what was there if it worked.

Rotting wood has more to do with workmanship in the original build than anything else, but design can come into play.

What it comes down to is if it makes you feel better to enlarge the plywood core there's no problem in doing it, but there will most likely be no benefit.

3. exp2000

exp2000 New Member

Thanks for the reply. That is exactly what I was thinking, but since I don't have any experience with boat building, I though I better ask for 'second' opinion.

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

When I see that right, there is a crack in the structure. Left side of the center, near the bottom.

That lets me assume the layup was not sufficient to bear the load. And (as all boatbuilding materials) GRP suffers from fatigue during service life.

So a stronger replacement of the old stuff makes sense imho.

Regards
    Richard

5. exp2000

exp2000 New Member

If you are talking about that black line, it is not a crack, it is a line made with sharpie, so I am reminded that i need to grind that corner still as it is uneven

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Aha.........