Should I buy this yamaha 85hp two stroke?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by nakupanda, Dec 15, 2013.

1. nakupanda

nakupanda Junior Member

Hi there,

I've been looking for a 60-85 hp used outboard this while, and last week I found one which price is quite cheap (motor + steering + control box = $1500) but I'm not sure if it's still in good condition (I'm a dabster:rolleyes:).

So I picked some pictures and hope can get some ideas here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

2. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

I wouldn't pay 1500 for a motor in that shape. It's going to need a lower unit and looks like its been in salt water. Can you check compression ? Can you work on outboards your self if not your probably going to have another 1500 in it or more. What year is it. From looking at the pictures I probably wouldn't pay over a couple hundred for a motor in that shape.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

It looks like a pile of junk. Where you can immediately see a range of faults, there will be plenty more out of sight. The word "abuse" comes to mind, it's had a very hard life by the looks. Second hand outboards are a minefield at the best of times, the odds of this one having a reliable lifespan of serviceability ahead of it, without major repairs and $$$ is not good, imo.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you can't start it and try it in a boat, the price should be 1/2 of the market value for that engine. Judging by what I see, that's a parts engine, not something you want to invest in, unless you have a need for a bunch of well used parts.

5. nakupanda

nakupanda Junior Member

It's currently mounted on a 19ft boat, and it's claimed still working well.

The owner said he will launch it so I can test it on water this week, maybe.

Thanks for you replay.

6. nakupanda

nakupanda Junior Member

If this motor is still running well, I will try to haggle for a lower price (about $1000) or I won't buy it.

Thank you :D

7. nakupanda

nakupanda Junior Member

I can try it on water, maybe that time I can record a video and post it here and get more ideas.

thanks.

8. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

Keep looking !

9. nakupanda

nakupanda Junior Member

the owner of this 85 hp said he also has another 60 hp for sale, hope that's a better one.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.