Replace kick-up rudder on Ghost 13 sailboat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by ghost13, Aug 3, 2015.

1. ghost13

ghost13 New Member

Can anyone tell me either where I can get a replacement kick-up rudder for my Ghost 13 sailboat or how to make one myself? The original was made of fiberglass and was lost when the boat capsized recently! Maybe I could make one out of wood? A key question would be where can I get the two pins needed to attach rudder to the boat hull, that allow it to swivel left and right? I am located in Racine, Wisconsin. Let me know if this should be posted in a different forum.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

If memory serves me, they had both a weird shaped centerboard and rudder. You might consider revising the shape for better sailing ability, especially the centerboard. To directly answer your question, I don't think new rudders are being made for your boat. Yes, wood will do and there are several good tutorials online about different methods. I'd recommend an inert material instead, to stave off potential issues later.

[​IMG]

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

4. ghost13

ghost13 New Member

Righting a Capsized Ghost 13

I was unable to right my capsized boat (still lying sideways) by pulling on the centerboard while treading water under it, also standing on the centerboard as shown in brochure proved impossible. I previously tried stuffing a little polyurethane foam into the top of mast, thinking that would add flotation and stop the boat turning turtle, but it didn't work! When enough water lay on the sail, the weight eventually caused the mast to sink. Can anyone suggest a better solution? I've heard that tying a one gallon milk bottle to top of mast will stop it sinking. Does anyone know if that's true?

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Floatation chambers are an answer, but in reality, just swiming out the end of the mast and tieing a PFD to the mast head will do the trick.

6. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Best thing is not to capsize in the first place...;)

She may be too buoyant on the sides, meaning she floats a bit high in the water on her side. Usually if you grab the board and put your feet on the underside gunwhale she should start to come more horizontal. Then when she's at a better angle you can climb on the board. Generally I would advise climbing on from the front side as it is thicker and less prone to snapping when you heave your chest on to it.

When you make the replacement rudder, ensure it has a lock down (S/S spring) on the transom to prevent it floating off and or falling off when capsized and maybe inverted.

7. Petros

Petros Senior Member

there was once a company that made and sold an airbag with an automated deployment switch for mounting high up on a mast. If it got submerged (pressure switch perhpas?), it would inflate the airbag (looked like a beach ball), and would keep the mast on the surface.

I do not know if these are still available, but it seems like a good idea for sailing in rough conditions, or for those still learning or are not confident in their sailing skills to right a boat. The only down side is the extra weight it put high up on the mast, not a lot, but enough that most people did not consider owning one. Which is why they are likely no longer available. It would not be that difficult to rig something like that up from available PFD parts.

8. SURRYEQUIP

SURRYEQUIP Junior Member

Ghost Rudder?

Did you ever get a rudder for your ghost? I might have one you can get for shipping cost.

9. ghost13

ghost13 New Member

Hello SURREYEQUIP - I only just saw your post today. Please confirm if you have a Ghost 13 rudder and what would be shipping cost? Can you post a pic?

10. Spike Selig

Spike Selig Spike

Have you solved your rudder problem yet? I have 2 Ghost 13s, one I am racing here in Indianapolis at the Eagle Creek Sailing Club. 1st place for summer, 2nd for fall. Beat all the cruising boats through Catalina 25s and 22s. We are planning to hold a first ever nationals at EC this summer. If 3 show up they will all be on the podium! Give me a cal at 317 987 7754 and I will give you all the help I can.