Should Bethwaite Be Honoured?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by PI Design, Jan 16, 2007.

1. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

Does anyone know whether Frank (or Julian) Bethwaite has been honoured with a British Empire medal (MBE/OBE/CBE/OBE)? For his services to sailing he surely deserves one - how does a non-British citizen get nominated for one?

2. gggGuest

gggGuest ...

Francis Dewar Bethwaite, DFC, OAM, has both a British medal (DFC) and an Australian one (OAM) . Australian citizens don't get OBEs etc,the OAM replaces it.

3. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

Well I never knew that. So Aussies can't get OBE's etc? But they can be Knights, right? I just did a quick Google and noticed that his OAM is for 'experiment and design'. Presumably this encompasses his model gliding exploits too.
    The DFC is a military award, so doesn't count in this context (but counts for more in many ways).

4. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

How come, without apparently editing your reply, the e-mailed message alert said this:

Frank B has both a British medal (DFC) and an Australian one (OAM) . Australian citizens don't get OBEs etc,the OAM replaces it.

Which is subtely different to what is posted above. How does that happen?

5. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

You are a bit British still, in your heart :)
    Commonwealth, is it?
    Or can a Norwegian get a British Medal also?
    Maybe King Olav did?

6. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

I thought, but could be wrong be the sound of it, that only citizens of 'commonwealth' countries could get OBEs etc. I think other people (Norwegians, French, Americans etc) can get honourary knighthoods, but not 'proper', actual, ones. I don't think I'm making much sense, am I?
    King Olav was a bit British anyway, wasn't he? Most European Royal families are inter-related. Sounds like a top man, based on his Wikipedia biography.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

OBM Order of the British Empire is military award. Started by George V-- 4 june 1917.

A lesser award and appropriate is the BEM British Empire medal, for members of the Commonwealth.

No Im not a clever so and so I just googled it.

8. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

I'm pretty sure the OBE isn't a military honour. The England cricket captain has one...

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Mmmm,- I could be wrong then. Would'nt be the first time.

Its definately not my field. I only googled it. I Wish I hadnt stuck my nose in now.

All I did was google,--- OBE!!

10. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

And he certainly didn't win it this winter for outstanding exploits in the face of the enemy!

11. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

Missing the whole series through injury was the best thing that could have happened to him. "See how they miss me?".

12. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

So if we Aussies ever become a Republic, do we have to give all our Medals back??.
    Anyway who needs medals, we got the ASHES> !!!!

Mychael

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Well If it isnt a military award--it should be. I think thats what ole George expected it to be at the time. Now your given it for knocking a ball around.

Sigh --Oh the British Empire Where are you my long lost friend?

Every body should hand them back in if there not British. Especially the Aussies who are-- well dubious characters at best.

They will only melt them down to buy grog anyway.

Mychael --how come your posting I thought the electricity was off down there?

14. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

I have trained possums running in a treadmill to a generator.
    See the reason we win at things is because the poms erroneously sent all their good strong stock over here, thinking us mere criminals. All the frail weak ones got left behind in the mother land.
    And your right we might melt them down for something usefull, never a group to go with pomp and tradition unless there is a good party involved with free grog and good looking sheilas.

Mychael

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yep,-- Your right, absalutely.

Its one of the biggest cock ups the mighty British Empire did.

We should have left all the bread stealers in blighty and all the good honest workers should have taken over Australia.

One can only imagine how wonderfull Australia would be now had we done this.

Is it too late I wonder,--If only they would put me in charge.

I would give every one a possum generator for a start.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.