I am trying to understand design program !!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by longcours62, Sep 8, 2012.

1. longcours62

longcours62 Junior Member

And for a (old )caveman like me it is "mission impossible".:confused:
    I start from the evolution drawing for our Hoa 2 ,
    but with out propellor's tunnels (because i am not capable to report thems !),and with out the radius on the first plate (betwen the deck and the first chine) (i am not clear at all !!).
    If some body could give an advice from professional it will be welcome !:idea:
    We start from our first project evolution of Hoa
    Aloy built.................................................. Steel built
    19,99 LOA.........And lengthened By 6%........21.199 LOA
    19,40 LWL.................................................20.780 LWL
    5,05 BOA..................................................5.05 BOA (Frenchs canals !)
    4,63 BWL..................................................4.63 BWL
    1,00 Draft.................................................1.08 Draft
    34,50 T 42.647 T
    What do you think about hull lines ?
    Proportions etc

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I hope you're not looking to go very fast, nor are bothered by a tender boat. Assuming you want a plane mode vessel, why have you shaped it this way? "I am trying to understand design program !!" instead of playing with the software, you should focus on how boats work, the principles, dynamics and concepts of how they interact with water. With this information well grasped, then you can start playing with appropriate shapes in software.

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Don't think this is intended as a planing boat, rather a light-displacement passagemaker........

Every hull form has an ideal (lowest resistance) speed. Once you have operating speed, weight, and length you can develop the form around ideal CP and LCB. Just looking at lines without knowing the intended speed and CP/LCB one can offer little comment.

4. longcours62

This "drawing " is just for replace our actual boat
    (http://long-cours.62.over-blog.com/article-passagemaker-cherchez-l-erreur-77177400.html)
    As said by Tad it will be (may be if we sold our actual boat and if we built her !) a passagemaker at reasonable speed (below 11 knts)
    First drawing was an evolution of our actual boat
    http://long-cours.62.over-blog.com/photo-1911172-19-90x4-98x1_JPG.html
    but if for $$ reasons we can't built her in alloy but in steel ....for the same resistance the hull will be around 10,3 t heavier !
    But lengthened as you can see above the D/L ratio could be keep at an acceptable level for us .
    transom little larger than our actual boat,tunnel for propeller (not on on the 'drawing' below
    http://long-cours.62.over-blog.com/photo-1917001-HOA-2082_Linesplan_jpg.html

5. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

IMO, Freeships is great for producing many iterations of an idea. You then can compare stats of each.

But I get most of the information you are talking about from looking at proven designs, and reading designers reviews. Bolger was very candid in his critique of his own designs, good stuff and very helpful.

There is a wealth of information about hullforms to be found right here by using search.

Frank

6. longcours62

Yes as said before we are amateur and not NA
    And until now we juste made our drawing by hand and it is why I wrotte " I am trying to understand..."
    But after near 40 years at sea, own 15 differents type of boats and built 3 (all around 62') after made all the designs (except hull lines because I know I have not the skill for that )
    I thinking I have one idea of what it is a boat .
    But I am very surprised when I got this type of comment from a professional like PAR (for the 'drawing' proposed above) : "you want a plane mode vessel, why have you shaped it this way?"
    I thinking I will be clear for a professional she is NOT a planing hull at all.
    Tad Robert clearly understand that and even some 'amateurs'.
    The original drawing come from a well know designer board, the evolution was made by the design team of a shipyards, after some proposal made by us .
    Because after use this boat during 10 years , we note some things we want change for (I hoppe !) ameliorate the next one.
    Because betwen the theory on the screen of NA and the real life we saw some differences .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.