depth of dash required

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mike hay, Feb 6, 2013.

1. mike hay

mike hay Junior Member

Hi guys, Ive been working hard on my flat bottom outboard jet drive design. It is coming together nicely and Im trying to maximize the seating capacity of a quite small boat. At 14' 6", space is a premium that I dont want to waste. Your advice has been great and I have decided as suggested on a 60/40 as opposed to the 40/30 originally planned. Im stumped on how deep to make the dash to fit the steering assembly. And is there an ideal depth to accomodate leg room underneath, and how far back the chair should be placed from the face of the dash.

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Approx. 6 inches (150 mm) is enough for the steering unit (rack & pinion). A single lever throttle/direction control needs much more to accommodate the cables, but for a jet you probably want separate levers.
    For leg room look at a small car brochure or use a measuring tape. If you are going to use a fixed chair, make sure it is far enough back to get your legs under the dash.

3. mike hay

mike hay Junior Member

Hey thanks. 6" is what I was most unsure of. I have room to go 10" so I should be in good shape. Any advice on constructing a three piece walk thru windshield. Im not doing any welding myself, but I have to have all the details sorted out for the weld shop to work from.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.