Shorepower connector - 50 amp to 30 amp splitter

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by indecision, Apr 9, 2007.

  1. indecision
    Joined: Apr 2007
    Posts: 2
    Likes: 0, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: wisconsin

    indecision New Member

    My dock has both 50 amp and 30 amp connections and I would like to make or biuld a 50 to 30 amp splitter . A guy made one on the dock several years ago and it was great . Does anyone know how this is wired ? I can buy the 50 amp end and the two 30 amp ends and know you must have a box between these ends . Can anyone tell me what wire guage I need and how it is wired inside the box which is between the 50 amp end from the pedstal and the two 30 amp ends ?? Thanks .
  2. artemis
    Joined: Oct 2004
    Posts: 410
    Likes: 15, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 267
    Location: USA

    artemis Steamboater

    Are you talking 120v AC or 240v AC? Twist-lock plugs?
  3. charmc
    Joined: Jan 2007
    Posts: 2,391
    Likes: 78, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 840
    Location: FL, USA

    charmc Senior Member

    Not trying to be discouraging, but you can buy those for a few hundred dollars, and I'd want the assurance and protection from liability of an adapter built to code. I wouldn't want to have to explain to the marina owner's lawyer and my insurance company that the electrical adapter that caused the fire was homemade.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.