Shore power

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by CDK, Jul 7, 2013.

1. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Below is my personal interpretation of "shore power".
    Advantages over the classical concept are: no need for transformers , isolators or a GFI and of course the electricity is free. The solar panel is a $1800 glass roof for a Mercedes or Audi, subjected to extensive environmental tests in the manufacturer's laboratory and subsequently discarded.

I used to have a 150 ft heavy rubber cable tied to the jetty with a transformer where the pole is now. But the climate change does funny things to the sea level in my bay, so several times already waves entered the transformer and caused the GFI in the house to trip at night. Since the main purpose was just to charge the batteries, the new setup is surely sufficient.

Attached Files:

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

"the new setup is surely sufficient"

Good one mate, how many amps can that roof put out on a good day.

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Judging from the size it may deliver 30 watts, so 2.5 amps in bright sunlight. Yesterday evening I measured 13.4 volts at the battery, so what more can I want!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.