Gelcoat over gelcoat aluminum

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Tburke, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Tburke

Tburke New Member

I have a1963 lone star holiday i would like to re gelcoat the bottom half of the boat do i need to remove old gelcoat or can i ruff up existing gelcoat and cover over it it is a rivited aluminum

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I've never heard of gel coated aluminum. I think you have some kind of baked on paint or something on it.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Yep, it's likely you have paint, powder coat or an anodized finish on your boat. Gelcoat is used in 'glass boats, but little else.

4. Tburke

Tburke New Member

What would you suggest i go back with i would like something to coat the bottom half that seals it up it doesnt leak but im just worried about being raw aluminum i thout about bed liner

5. PAR

Truck bed liner is an option, but most of the roll on stuff has some sort of grit in it. The spray applications can be had with or without. Of course, you'll want to remove the old paint to get a good bond. Contact monstaliner.com for the good stuff.

The real problem here is riveted boats have a life span and when they're at the end of it, they leak (for several reasons).

6. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

7. PAR

Both Goop and Gluvit are costly compared to the major formulator's products, let alone the specialty formulators. Call Paul at Progressive Polymers (603/435-7199), tell him I sent you and what you're trying to do. His epoxy will be half the cost of the other stuff, with the same abilities.

8. Tburke

Tburke New Member

Ok thanks for the info i also thout about welding up the seams or even covering with new aluminum i got a plan for this boat to mount an outboard motor midship trying to create a boat that people can afford to surf behind instead of spending 100k on a new nautique it is much easier than wakeboarding and almost everyone can do it
    I will post more pics as soon as i can thanks for all the help thus far

9. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Correct, but these products can be picked up tomorrow at many locations locally and the home work has already been done on exactly the right formula to use.

Plus in most cases so little is used to seal rivets that cost isn't a big factor

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.