teleflex/ Morse cables

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

There are red ,blue and black. Im malaysia they wont use blue , they say they crack on the outside sheath letting in water and I have seen this on new cable in the shop.

In Thailand they all use blue or secondly red, none use black that I have and bought in Singapore.

I have broken STBD lower station throttle, it was black Teleflex CC 172 15ft.
    Actually it didnt break put the inner cable pulled out of its swage ( poor)

12 14 16 easily available but not the 15ft.

The difference in price between the 2 countries is 100%.

I suppose a 1 foot longer cable would not be noticed.

The Thai supplier would not order the teleflex black sheath, he didnt say why.

2. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

You left out the old gold North Wales cables. My experience with these is the black have the most uv inhibitors and for exposed installations like outboards are best. The red morse cables used to crack but I think they use more uv inhibitors now and they seem to last as long as the black.

Teleflex (black) and Morse (red) are both owned by Teleflex now.

One more ft won't matter in almost all installations.

The Thai supplier may have a agreement with his supplier about being exclusive with one brand for a better price, may have a credit issue with the Telefllex supplier, may have a personal issue with the distributor. I believe Teleflex has a plant in Singapore, so it's certainly available.

Steve

3. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

I switched from black to red Morse 33C - the red worked better around a tight bend. Smoother throttle action.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I have 8 cables all together 2 engines and 2 stations. they are quite stiff and always have been.

The black Teleflex is just stainless solid wire in the middle but as I saw on display the blue and red is plastic coated inner cable.

Thing is,-- the inner cable failed its swage, it did not break. I wondered if thats why the Thai boat shop did not use black.

In the south bay of Pattaya is approx 1000 speed boats launched every day for islands hopping tours. Old tractors launch and retrieve constantly from dawn to dusk and after.

They all use red.

5. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

Didn't take mine apart but the red ones were much smoother curved to a tight radius. The black ones I had to lean on the throttles. The red ones I can move the throttles with two fingers.

6. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Both Teleflex and Morse have a premium version of their cables. The Teleflex Xtreme and Morse 33 Supreme. These give awesome performance for long runs and/or tight bends. I had something like 24ft xtreme cables on the upper station of my trawler when the originals died, smooth and easy after 24ft of twisting turns.

Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.