Creating frames using Rhino or other software

Discussion in 'Software' started by CET, Oct 12, 2005.

1. CET

CET Senior Member

I have designed a hull that I would like to build as a one-off project using foam core and fiberglass. I designed it using FREEship and have imported the model into Rhino. What is the best way to create the frames (stations?) I will need to build the male mold structure? Will I need another software program? I am completely new to boatbuilding, so please forgive me if this is a dumb question. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

No problem all questions are welcome, now you need to create sections on the hull for reference or you are talking about the actual structural frame to support the mold?

3. CET

CET Senior Member

Thanks for your reply, CGN. I am looking to create sections for reference. I will be building a male mold using longitudinal battens over lattitudinal frames. What I would like to be able to do is create "drawings" and dimensions of the lattitudinal frames. I'm envisioning a frame, or station, every 12" or so from stem to stern. Thanks for your help.

4. Baldur

Baldur Junior Member

This is what works for me,

From the top view I create stations lines.
    Then I "project" those sation lines onto the hull surfaces (from the top view)
    Next I create points along the new 3d projected lines at the intersections needed for the offset table (keel, chines, sheer,)
    I can then use the new 3d projected lines for creating frames.

Hope this helps......

5. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Hi CET,

At least on V2 you can't project lines to a mesh, it has to be a nurb to be able to use this tool, so most of the tools for nurbs it won't work with meshes, for some reason only contour works.

Export from Free!ship as a 3D Face, set your resolution of the mesh as highest before you export and open the file using rhino

Have a look at this file it will show you how to use the "contour" command let me now if you have any questions

Attached Files:

6. CET

CET Senior Member

That worked great! Thanks CGN!

How can I get the frames now onto paper?

7. CGN

CGN Senior Member

I will need some more info on what you need, printing on a regular home printer or a plotter? to scale or full size?

cheers!

8. CET

CET Senior Member

I would like to build a 1:10 scale model first, so my need right now are just to print on a home printer on legal size paper.

When I am ready to build I would like to print the frames full size, if possible. I don't have a printer that will handle that, but there is a Kinkos print shop nearby that should have one.

9. CGN

CGN Senior Member

10. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I suppose ypu will make an offset of the hull surface to make room for the skin thickness? Then you section this surface that defines the inside of the hull.

11. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

Easy to do in TouchCAD. Check out the Marine Design here:

http://www.touchcad.com/tc3training.html

Among other things, it shows how to generate a frame / stringer bulkhead in any direction.

TouchCAD can easily generate frame drawings, complete with XY coordinates, or you can use the "tiled" printing feature to print the sections in full scale over any number os sheets of paper, complete with page numbering and cutting marks.

12. nero

nero Senior Member

It seems a bit envolved compared to TouchCAD. Perhaps it is because they are doing it on free versions of the software?

Also it seems that 12 inch (30 cm is too close together for the forms) I used 50 cm and even that was not needed except in the stern.

Have fun with the model making. It is the fastest part of your project.

13. CET

CET Senior Member

Thanks for all the responses and great information. Much appreciated!

14. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Thread's probably already dead, but I'll toss in my $0.02 worth.
    In Rhino, with the hull modelled as a NURBS surface or polysurface:
    - On a new layer, create a plane in the front view, so that it extends past the boat on all sides
    - Array this plane along the length of the boat with the desired station spacing
    - OffsetSrf the hull- point the arrows inward and set the distance equal to the frame thickness. (If you're being picky, do another offsetsrf for the inside of the hull skin as well.)
    - On a new layer, Intersect the station planes with both the inner and outer hull surfaces
    - DupEdge the sheer line and transom to this layer
    - Turn off layer visibility for the hulls and station planes
    You now have perfectly accurate station curves that can be projected to a plane, plotted/printed and traced, or exported one-by-one to CNC cutter readable formats.

15. CET

CET Senior Member

Marshmat, thank you for the informastion. I haven't had a chance to try what you suggest yet, but I'll let you know how if goes.

Thanks,

Charlie

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.