Research Papers

Discussion in 'Education' started by issac82, Mar 11, 2008.

1. issac82

issac82 Junior Member

Hi,
    i am student of naval arhitecture.My university is subscribed to many journals which help a lot of during the research in new fields.I have a question that whether I ca download the complete data bank from my university internet as I will never always be here and later I will require help from these journals and this might prove very helpful.Does somebody know how can i do it?I can download one t one time but not the complete journals or complete data bank.Is there any software which i use and that download by itself as my ciomputer remain connected to internet?does somebody have the answer??

2. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

I doubt that we can help you much because it depends on the agreement between your University and the journal, and what setup they use to access the journals.

It seems very wasteful to download an entire journal such as the Journal of Fluid Mechanics when you will only refer to one or two papers from each issue.

Good luck,
    Leo.

3. issac82

issac82 Junior Member

yeah may be u r right but one thing i want to tell you that i have ome from a third world country to do masters here and when i ll go bak i might not have access to so much material that is why i want to take back all what i can so that in the future if i have some work to do i try to use the material which i can download and keep it with me for the future works

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Issac82,
    Perhaps an arrangement can be made with the university so that you have access/log-in capability when you return home. Whilst I was studying I could access uni stuff remotely (whilst not on the campus), and special arrangements could be made I am sure - maybe on an annual basis for renewal - so long as access is not abused (restricted to your personal research and no one else has your login password etc... Just a thought - I hope it is of assistance... Check with your academic supervisor at the university...

5. charmc

charmc Senior Member

It is usually possible to arrange for remote access to a university database via the Internet so long as you are a registered student or employee of the university. Once you are finished with your studies, it is expected that you will access professional journals and university databases through whatever arrangements your employer may chose to pay for, or by paying the appropriate fees yourself.

Some marine publications allow access to article summaries in their archives without a fee, charging only for downloads of the full article. There are a few which do not charge for article downloads. The policies vary, but they are set by the publications.

The university may have a policy for access to its database by graduates. A good idea would be to follow masalai's advice, and check with your academic adviser.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Or, to follow in from Charlies advice, register for "distance learning" and a post graduate course for "Masters" or "Doctorate"

7. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

hy

i need a paper Title
    " Optimization of the preliminary design and cost evaluation of fishing vessel "
    1994 .. PAPANKOLAOU A. And KARIAMBAS

please if anyone have can u share ? i need it for my thesis work .

Thanks very much

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.