Shipping help

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by chowdan, Nov 28, 2008.

1. chowdan

chowdan 1980 PAC41 Liveaboard

Hello,

I am looking into a yacht. I need some help on shipping it from San Diego to Fiji.

All the shipping companies here in Fiji and confused and are telling me to contact the USA offices. I would but it costs me around $4/min.

So i guess im asking if anyone has any contacts that can help me out?

Thanks
    Jordan

2. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Check out Maersk's online shipping schedule. You may be able to find something there that can help.

3. StrandedMariner

StrandedMariner Steelboatsailor

You might find that it is cheaper to hire a delivery skipper.
    I am facing the same problem. Next year I have to move a 44 footer from Durban to Phuket. Apart from the fact that I could not find anybody who would ship from Durban to Phuket, but only Capetown to Singapore, it is very expensive.

So I have found a delivery skipper who will sail it (with me part of the 6 week trip joining) from Durban to Phuket.

4. bistros

bistros Previous Member

Check into Skype. As long as you have a reasonable high speed Internet connection, you can do this kind of phone call for pennies a minute.

5. chowdan

chowdan 1980 PAC41 Liveaboard

bistros: I've tried skype, unfortunately we are running off a wireless dialup connection. We get (if lucky) 56k. Quite sad i know! But i've been told its going to be turned into a 3G broadband connection.

StrandedMariner: I've often thought about that. But i'm not sure if she could be qualified as an safe offshore vessel. But that si a good idea. I think i might look into that.

Thanks for the help everyone!

6. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

What type of yacht is it? Most sailboats over 30' could make this trip but a lot of power boats won't carry the fuel to try. The trick is finding a captain and crew willing to make this long of a passage.

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.