wave pattern in Hullspeed program (Maxsurf)

Discussion in 'Software' started by sobo, Nov 5, 2010.

1. sobo

sobo Junior Member

hi there

I got some difficulty here.Hope that someone who expert in Hullspeed or wave pattern could help me explain my problem.

As you can see in the pictures attached below, that were the wave pattern produced by my boat at different speed.

My question are
    1) what is the standard explanation to show the different between each wave pattern (other than explain about wave produce at critical, subcritical, supercritical speed).
    2) why there are different in colour for different speed as in the picture?
    3) what does the different in colour means?

Attached Files:

2. Jenny Giles

Jenny Giles Perpetual Student

I am waiting for some answers too!!! I think the colors are scaled in some way between the lowest and highest waves.

The waves don't look right to me, like why is there no change in front of the hulls.

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

4. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

sobo: Your wave patterns seem to be in deep water. Reference to the thread Ad Hoc recommended
    will show you how the Kelvin angle changes with water depth.
    That is definitely not happening with your wave patterns.

Jenny: As I said to you and your fellow Launcestonians last week, my guess is that Hullspeed
    does not include the "local field" in the wave elevation calculations. That is probably
    why the water is flat ahead of the bow.

Leo.

5. sobo

sobo Junior Member

Thanks for your advise.really appreciate it.

6. surf

surf Junior Member

Is it possible to import an IGES hull file into Maxsurf and from Hullspeed get the wave pattern from the actual hull?
    Which input is needed to get the wave pattern beside from the hull shape. Speed and draught?

7. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

Yes you can import IGES hull file to maxsurf, and then save it as *.msd file. which you will open in Hullspeed.
    Other input data is Speed range, Method of calculating , Overall efficiency and also need to set units.

8. sobo

sobo Junior Member

surf: you should set the draught earlier using maxsurf before you transfer it into hullspeed. and as told by zeroname, you can set speed range,overall efficiency,etc in hullspeed. for method of calculation, you should check which method is suitable for your design. and one more thing, make sure you set your vessel type in maxsurf first.whether it is monohull or catamaran or trimaran. it will effect your result in hullspeed since it only calculate starboard side of the model and mirror it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.