Describing a graph

Discussion in 'Software' started by sobo, Mar 10, 2011.

1. sobo

sobo Junior Member

Hi

this is a graph of total bare-hull resistance coefficient vs speed that I obtain using Hullspeed software for a 8 meters catamaran boat.

Can someone help me on how can I describe this graph?
    This boat's service speed would be 9 knots.

It shows that the resistance is high during start-up which is normal. But, why would the resistance become fluctuate during 1-6 knots?

hope that someone expert can help me understand the graph.

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. sobo

sobo Junior Member

here is the picture

Attached Files:

• graf.png
      graf.png
      File size:
      74.6 KB
      Views:
  3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

The fluctuations are due to changes in the wave lengths of the waves generated by the boat as speed changes and the effect of the waves on the hull. Should be described in any book with a section on resistance due to wave making.

Does Design 1 have around a 8.7 m waterline length, Design 2 around 9.6 m and Designs 3 and 4 around 10.8 m?

4. sobo

sobo Junior Member

thanks for the answer

for your information,all design have the same LOA, Breadth and Volume Displaced.

LOA=8 m
    LWL=7.5 ~ 8 m
    Breadth= 2 m

can I get your opinion on the service speed?. I got it from my calculation. Is it look normal for a cruise boat?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.