Looking to consult on design optimization

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by rnd, Oct 8, 2007.

1. rnd

rnd New Member

I am a PhD scientist who has spent the last 5+ years conducting applied research for NASA using genetic algorithms to optimize the design of real-world devices, employing finite element analysis software and other simulation tools. In addition, I have extensive experience in commercial software design and development, as well as 3d visualization.

As an avid (but admittedly novice) sailor, and having come across accounts reporting the use of genetic algorithms by Emirates Team New Zealand to design a ballast bulb, I am very interested in applying this optimization technology to the design of sail shape and/or yacht components.

I am interested in a serious R&D effort. Feel free to contact me at bkraus@digitalbiology.com.

2. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

hi rnd,

GA's and sailing from someone who knows. That what i like to hear!
    It seems the americas cup syndicates have the wherewithall to play with evolutionary algorithms. It definitely seems to be an avenue of research on the ascent.

In particular Andrew Mason of Maxsurf http://www.formsys.com/maxsurf/msdocumentation/technical-papers
    ( and Dr Giles Thomas (Australian Maritime College) gthomas@amc.edu.au):

I think the AMC is intending to ramp up yacht research in the near future and GA's seem so applicable to the rugged design landscape of yachts.

I am an undergrad doing Naval Arch. , this summer I am researching a VPP using some kind of evolutionary method. - thats about as far as I'v got...

Sorry i can't help you much, i was just excited to hear about anyone talking GA's in yacht design.

Rob