Need design help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by twaite, Feb 27, 2016.

1. twaite

twaite Junior Member

I am wanting to build this boat out of Aluminum for a Flounder gigging boat as well as transporting supplies as needed to Islands. I found this design on an older post and it is perfect for what I am needing. I have no ideal how to use the design programs and would like to see if anyone could be of assistance. Thank you in advance.

River_Runner265.PNG

This design is at 25' length

I would like to build it at 18' x 84

Thanks,

Capt. Travis

2. twaite

twaite Junior Member

Would like to end up with Hull similar to this.. hope you guys can help..

Reflex Boat Works1.JPG

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I think I could help you but the first thing I think of is that, if there is no important motif to keep it, you remove the central "tunnel".
    I suppose, by the shapes and the freeboard, which is low, the boat will be for use in rivers and tranquil lakes.
    Could you clarify better what help do you need?. It would be very important to have a list of requirements to be met by the ship.

4. twaite

twaite Junior Member

Thank you for your reply,

1) Tunnel would be important as the boat will need to run in extremely shallow water

2) Primary use is for: Flats fishing, Flounder gigging and hauling supplies (light building goods/groceries) to inland islands. The reason for the flat deck is to accommodate our need to allow for handicap access as we on occasion will have a few special guest.

3) I have equipment and experience with aluminum fabrication but have never built a boat and don't know were to begin. The posted design seems perfect for the situation.

Some thoughts I had:

Boat:
    LOA: 17'-18' longer better
    Draft: 4"-6"
    BOA: 84"
    Pocket tunnel
    available 90 to 115 hp 20" shaft and hydraulic jackplate

Hull:
    Aluminum 1/8 or 3/16 5052 or 5086
    Weld wire .035 5356

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Frankly, I think that the tunnel does not provide any advantage, but quite the opposite. The completely flat bottom provides more buoyancy, very necessary thing because the boat will sail in very shallow water.
    The side sponsons at the stern can be good but that is completely independent of the tunnel in the background.
    Could you prepare a GA of what you need exactly?

6. twaite

twaite Junior Member

Boat

18' length
    84" beam
    plane in 8" of water
    Light weight
    Flat deck
    low sheer 12"-16"
    float in 4"-6" At rest

I don't understand exactly what GA means in what you are asking, sorry
    Need help with a drawing that will work something that I can get started on the build, hull dimensions, framing if any, transom, motor well ect. be glad to pay if needed..

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

GA = General Arrangement.
    For example, if you want to take seats, you may be able to avoid some cross frames. If the boat has a deck and depending on its extension, it will serve to stiffen the hull. Depending on the weight you want to carry the draft that have provided may or may not be enough. Anyway, many things that only depend on you, than nobody else can know, and fully condition the boat.

8. twaite

twaite Junior Member

Fully decked (flush with top of sheer)
    Raised Center Console with lean post
    Fuel tank (20 gal)
    Hydraulic jackplate
    20" shaft engine 90-115 hp
    Average weight carried 3 persons/gear 600-1000 lbs
    Ice chest seat in front of Console
    Rod locker in deck

Boat will be primarily used for Flounder gigging and flats fishing.

9. twaite

twaite Junior Member

IMG_0522_zps8e0a088e.jpg

Thought these might help give understanding as this is what I am looking for

Attached Files:

10. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Tansl; that type of boat, a flats boat in our parlance, typically has a tunnel. The reason for that is the necessity of running in very shallow water. The motor will have a jack plate that elevates it for shallow running. The presumption is that the prop can operate partly in the tunnel end and still have enough water to let the prop bite.

These boats are popular and there are a gazillion of them operating along our coasts and bays. The type has gone through various stages of development and the one that the OP describes is pretty much in the ball park for current design.

Those fishermen have all sorts of accessories that make things convenient, sometimes a little dangerous. A common accessory is a "power pole" . That is a vertically mounted pole, hydraulic or electrically actuated so that it will drive part of the pole into the mud, thereby holding the boat in place. They often have platforms raised above the gunnel several feet. The fisherman stands on the platform and scans the water for signs of whatever fish they are chasing. That seems kind of risky to me but it works for the user in spite of substantial changes in the metacenter. If you have the impression that Americans are crazy, you may be right. For sure they are inventive.

11. twaite

twaite Junior Member

Thanks for the post, your are exactly correct its a flats boat... just need help with drawings of the hull for cut list and lol someone that understands the programs cause lord knows I don't but I can cut it out and put it together.. the top side is very doable as I have rigged many for friends but never built the hull.. Thanks again for all your help as this boat will mean so much to some very special people that otherwise don't get to experience what we sometimes take for granted of on a daily bases...

12. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

mess about, is understood the issue of the tunnel. I should have realized by myself. I'm a little clumsy.

13. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The tunnel shown in the opening post is rather more substantial than that in post #9, which probably is why TANSL doesn't like it so much. Are there not stock plans you can buy, seems there must be if they are as popular as messabout says.

14. twaite

twaite Junior Member

Yes sir, that is why I was expressing that it was a little extreme for my use...

None that can convert to aluminum as per designers...

15. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I do not know if I understand you well but, if you have plans in any other material, I can "translate" them into aluminum.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.