Look for Soviet manufacturer for Cylinder steel boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mtumut, May 24, 2009.

1. mtumut

mtumut Junior Member

Hello ,

I found a boat design at around in ten site which is a 3 meters long cylinder with two semi spherical caps both sides.
    Russia is the maker of the biggest submarines and I want to order this boat to a Russian , Ukranian or a Moldovian ship yard.
    I want it steel and 1.5 meter diameter.
    Can you advise me the list of shipyards who will do this business ?
    I want the caps as submarine manufacturing. May be the caps would be from composite but lets learn the costs first.

Thank you ,

Umut

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Any pic to post?
    Sounds too simple. The way you have described it, looks like you don't need a nuclear submarine shipyard but a plumber... ;)

3. mtumut

mtumut Junior Member

here is the picture

here is the boat

Attached Files:

4. mtumut

mtumut Junior Member

I think the important thing is the shipyard , funny ha ? ı found it at Ukraine and contacted

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I think I was right. You need a plumber. :p
    It looks to me like some kind of life-raft with sail propulsion. I'm really curious about what do you intend to use it for? It's obviously not for pleasure... ;)

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

You do not need a shipyard to do this. Any welding fabrication shop with roll forming equipment can do the job for you. Actually you may be able to find a propane tank that is near the dimensions that you mention.

7. mtumut

mtumut Junior Member

Can a welding fabrication shop roll 3 or 4 milimeters thick ST 40 steel ? Or Do they need thinner steel ?
    My intention is to go in to a storm , cold , ice of Argentine or Canada. Well I have enough money to fly there but maps , maps are calling me like call of the wild.
    I went to a welding course and they said welding under 3 mm is very difficult.
    What kind of a welder I need ?
    What is the safe thickness of the 3 meters steel boat for 100 feet wave knocking ?

8. mtumut

mtumut Junior Member

They sell 6 meters to 1,5 meters plate here. It can be devided to two 3 meters sections and than can be rolled , diameter will be 1 meters , its good , total lenght will be 3 meters . Steel cost 140 dollars for 4 milimeters , 270 kilograms. It can go to even hell.
    Thank you for the tip !

9. messabout

messabout Senior Member

A fabrication facility can roll form very thick plate if they have equipment of sufficient size. I know of one nearby that can roll 12mm plate to a modest radius. Welding under 3mm sheet is NOT difficult for a welder of reasonable competance. I know a local welder who can weld beer cans. yes, he is good at his trade and he does it with a TIG machine. Welding things such as automobile exhaust pipes, which are about 1.5 mm is very common. For 3mm sheet a small welding machine capable of 100 ampere output will do the job well enough. As welding machines go, that is a very small one.

I do not in any way encourage you to pursue this project. A tubular steel boat for use in ice, storms, or anything of the sort is suicidal madness. I am merely giving you information about how the "boat" can be built not whether it should be built.

10. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Your doing things backwards
    Make a list of what you want a boat to do.
    Make a list of your skills, resources and money available
    Make a list of what you don't want in a boat
    Then go look for a boat that does most of what you want.
    The see how to do it for your $$$
    Somewhere long the way you will find what your are looking for.

A steel tank is not a boat, it will not keep you safe. It will probably be your tomb.
    I would rather have a very well built canoe. DO you know that lots of people have crossed oceans in canoes. They know what they are doing and they prepare the boats very well.

OH, on South polar water, you would not last more that 30 minutes before you would freeze to death, may be less...

11. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yes - mydauphin has said it good!

An extended trip in a small boat in very cold conditions is not a ten minute ride over a waterfall (which this boat resembles - being a barrel)

The shape is simple, but you cannot stand on a round, rolling deck to control sails, make landings - there is no coaming around the entrance to allow you to poke your head out to see where you are, nor shelter while steering.

Assuming you dont have an engine, this boat will sail badly, making you spend miserable hours at sea that you dont need to. It is way too small for comfort. You could extend this design to three times the size with little extra cost, but 100% better chance of survival.

If you are trully intent on imposing such cruel and unusual punishement on yourself, you would be better getting hold of any number of similar but much better plywood designs - lighter, stronger for the weight, with quite a bit more insulation and lot better chance of open ocean survival.

I bet you have not done any open ocean sailing - so borrow a good kyak and take a long paddle in cold and choppy conditions, and you will get an inkling of what you are in for.

Lucky you posted here to get some sense slapped into you :)

12. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Sucked In Badly

see the thread
    "No food,no water,no sail,no radio/Currents,planktons,sun "

this dude is a real time waster. The actual pity is, he will never go to sea in a crazy boat.

13. M-Sasha

M-Sasha Guest

Yes he obviously is mentally defect. But he managed to find the "Soviet Union", impressive.

Sasha

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.