mantex stringers?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rugger, Mar 27, 2008.

1. rugger

rugger New Member

Been reading this site for a while. Thanks for all the info I have learned a lot!

So I have an old Malibu skier, and am fixing a dry rot job. I have someone helping me with replacing stringers and transom (i'm doing the grunt work, he's the glass guy). I was going to replace with Doug Fir and west system epoxy, then came across opportunity to use cut out Mantex material for stringers and transom for great price. This is the same material Malibu uses for flooring today.

Is this a good idea? Is there a downside to using this kind of composite for stringers? I know I'm new, but I'm really stuck and would like to defer to those smarter than me about this stuff.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. rugger

rugger New Member

Anyone?

Anyone have experience with this? Only research I can find suggests that using composites instead of wood requires more strength in the glass to hull, since most of the original strength was in the wood stringers. Any help would be appreciated. I like the idea of being rot free.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.