New Boat

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by 77 crusader, Sep 3, 2014.

1. 77 crusader

77 crusader Junior Member

Hello everyone, I just bought an old girl and she is in great shape! I drove her nice for the first date but coming to dock I did a once over and ... milky oil!
    1977 crestliner 775 crusader, 470/225 cid. I read many threads but when she is out of water no oil mix when I run her (not long... thermo might not be opening) this is all after I cleaned her up got all the milk out.. (2 oil changes, 1 with a cup of diesel and a 1 min run)
    I am a mechanic so I want to say head gasket, but most posts say water pump seals and sleeves etc...
    My question before I head back to the cottage, is would it not leak anti-freeze once I started her after I changed the oil? or Do I put her back in the water and see if its fresh water entering from manifold?
    A note.. she starts right up, and she purrrrs just nice.... good torque and speed on first date was GREAT
    I will check weep hole but was hoping for a quick answer...... The water pump sounds hard but the manifold I can get fixed here in town, done many heads with luck so that should be easy... LOL...

Thanks everyone for your time.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Those engines have a heat exchanger. If what is contaminating the oil is water and not antifreeze, then it is not coming from the head gasket. The most likely place would be the riser; either the gasket or pinholes caused by corrosion. The antifreeze leak can be ruled out with a standard pressure test.

3. 77 crusader

Thanks I will try that right away, how long do you think I can run out of water? does anyone really know?

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I recently had the same problem. It was the gasket between the manifold and the riser. Check it out.

5. 77 crusader

Thanks Ike!
    I did that this weekend and it looked good but also I saw that the previous owner had blocked the weep hole on the engine water pump.
    Does anyone know where I can get parts? and fast delivery? To Canada?

Need gasket kit for the riser, gasket kit for the water pump and seals along with those sleeves I am to put in. Anyone with a preferred supplier??

No cracks in my manifold!!

My serial # 5926788. I cannot find any typeof listing and this is the right tag number... Anyone? can tell me anything about this motor? 224cid

6. Ike

Ike Senior Member

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If he blocked the breather hole (it's not a weep) on the engine coolant circulating pump, it was probably leaking. It only leaks when the seal takes a dump, so you'll need to replace the pump, not just install gaskets. Try ebasicpower.com for parts. Shop online and have it delivered to your door. While you're there, get a manual for your engine/drive combination, which should be the first part you buy for this boat.

[​IMG]

If this is your water pump, you should consider a very comprehensive inspection of this engine. It wasn't offered for long and had a lot of "teething" problems before it was dropped. Typical issues are; electric - weak stators, regulator failures and an odd, unique starter. The water pump is cam driven and shares it's cover, which commonly tends to leak, plus a host of other complaints.

8. 77 crusader

Yes this is my pump, what do you mean replace pump? you mean the impellar?
    I got all the gaskets and the 2 seals along with the riser gaskets as I was told to look there first.
    I hear good things about these motors? What else should I be worried about?
    I have heard about the stadder, the conversion kits they offer are way to expansive I will do it myself next summer, 1004 for a alternator and make my own brackets..
    This boat is a 1977 not sure how many regulators there are! The motor was made from 1970-1982 its a basic ford 460 with a different block for weight, but I am new to this marine stuff with water and like this water system being different... not sure yet what some talk about these sleeves I should be installing for the cam...
    As for that starter I'm looking for one!! yes it looks very unique.
    As per my serial number the motor is 1980-1982 and my boat is 1977...

Any info you or anyone can help with I would appreciate.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.