Sheered waterline.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by michael pierzga, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

And here's Britton Chance camouflaging really high slab-sides with a wide boottop and matching sheer strake....Ondine III or IV....?

Chanceboottop.jpg

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Question for those with real-world boottop experience:

Can a boottop profile which looks nice in a 2D profile drawing wind up looking slightly odd if lofted directly onto a hull witout any adjustment, particularly if it's a hull with a bluff bow or stern? Not suggesting it would always or even usually happen but seems to me it should be possible to get an un-intended powderhorn shape in the boottop.

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Hmm...must be Ondine IV with the inboard rudder and tall mizzen that could be canted to windward. . So many Ondine's its easy to mix em up. Ondine III had an outboard rudder and was designed by Tripp ? cant remember...getting to old.

Attached Files:

4. Bruce46

Bruce46 Junior Member

Tad in response to your posts I went back and looked for the origional note I got from Rod. After going through some old papers, I did find the original memo. They were not cast in stone and I'm sure that adjustments were made. The fromula appears to work better on longer boats as I did a 61' motor yacht and the formula bootstrip looks great while on a
    42' motorsailer it is too thin, perhaps there needs to be a adjustment factor for the height of the sheer in relation to length.

As an aside I worked with Bob Harris on a couple side jobs while working at S&S

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  5. Bruce46

Bruce46 Junior Member

Please note the corrections to the boot strip formula that I posted.
    Thanks

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Thanks Bruce.......I agree there should be another factor for height of sheer and/or length of the boat.....but what you have provided can be a starting point for anyone, and I'm particularly pleased that both top and bottom are curved.....most of the time it's impossible to get boatbuilders to actually do this........now I can say..."well this is the way they do it at S&S"........;)

Bob Harris is an old friend and mentor long ago....he's well and living in Vancouver, retired and busy keeping the books straight in his housing co-op...he self-published a slim autobiography in 2008, Tracks on the Water, My Life in Yacht Design, ISBN 978-1-897518-81-6

You mention side jobs with Bob.....multihulls perhaps?

7. claydog

claydog Junior Member

While i don't have experience with boottops I do work with putting 2d lines on a 3d surfaces every day and the answer to your question is yes it very likely will look a little odd. you also will get a slight powder horn due to the differing plan views at the top and bottom of the boottop. Masking tape is a great tool to layout and tune the lines before commiting to paint.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.