Concept design 13.5 m Explorer River Motor Yacht

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by micspoko, Mar 4, 2011.

1. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

I do not have time for now to finish this design but I want to share with my work and hear some opinion.

lenght 13,5m
    beam 4m
    draft 1m

Part of this project will be used to create the classic units

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      112.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      113.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      85.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      230.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      131.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      240.1 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  2. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

Several ideas I like: the ergonomics seem good.

But the boxy shape kills it. Look at any decently designed car, and you'll see ZERO straight lines and flat surfaces. This design has lots of straight lines and flat or just as ugly "developable" surfaces.

Designing for inexpensive construction is a waste of time, most builders will tell you. The contribution to cost of surface plating is in the single digit percentages, so even a 50% savings only amounts to 2 or 3% savings on the total cost of the build.

3. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

this style of shape choose a client when the windows will be designed in hull will look better, but this is only a my vision of something different

4. Alik

Alik Senior Member

If it is for rivers, why so tall? How about bridges?

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This appears to be a case of a well drawn, pretty picture with limited, if any naval architecture experience. If this is a pond model, then I'd say go for it, but if a practical vessel, then ignore the styling aspects and focus on satisfying the SOR goals. When you've nailed these down sufficient enough to entertain a reasonable market segment, then play the styling game all you want.

6. Alik

Alik Senior Member

But many designers draw 'pond model' pictures like this now, without any practical features - look at gallery on this website. This is market demand now - 'eye catching' nonsense with pretty renderings.

I wish good luck to micspoko but he needs some knowledge... Not sure if he can read Russian or not, because I published big article on combining practical solutions with fine art of boat design.

7. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

the data that we received from client there were no limitations on the amount of units

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yes, but will the units float right side up?

9. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

the stability unity is good

10. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

From some of the pics on your website, you need to learn about hull design. The topsides of the 22.5m motoryacht look nice though.

All your designs seem to feature almost canal-boat type flat stern sections. This is incredibly bad news for stern slamming in any sort of following seaway.

It looks like you can do CAD. However, there is more to Naval Architecture than CAD. PLEASE do some research now.

Tim B.

11. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

2 of my 3 designs on my www are for the rivers.

I am 6 years experience hull technologist (repair shipyard) with 9 years of education about build and designs ships and now i am starting in designing comercial and pleasure ships (when i was on univesity i design a 3 concept comercial vessel for sea and 1 for rivers). Yes I now I have lot to learn in this business but I am not a green in hull design

12. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Experience of hull design is not experience of drawing hulls using software. Experience is first of all experience of building to these designs and observations of their seagoing behaviour. Also experience of tank-testing is essential... An all these are solved together with weight study for given displacement, etc.

For example for concept You posted here, the position of chine at bow is too low; it will lead to developed spray 'sticking' to hull sides at bow.

13. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

I think its better looking than at half the boats out there but no classic beauty either. If its a river boat, why the very high bulwarks that accentuate the height of the boat? Is the 1M hull draft or total draft, including running gear? If full headroom is only under the trunk cabin, topsides appear excessively high. Have you done the displacement study? Looks like the hull shape offers more displacement than the boat calls for. Not sure the round pilothouse windows go with the rest of the boat as well as a more traditional look would. The bar wet bar in the cockpit is kind of excess on a boat this small. All are just guesses.

14. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Another question: how to board this boat in marina? Stern platform would be desirable.

15. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

That is why I wrote that I have to learn a lot. Chine at bow it will be under water

1m hull draft is a total draft

It will be a passerelles

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.