Shear legs on metal boats

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by welder/fitter, Feb 24, 2009.

1. nofacey

nofacey New Member

Had a Folkes 39, and it was a very comfortable boat. Lived on it in Vancouver, toasty warm with just a diesel heater in a very cold winter - great going up & down BC coast, even took 4 of us to Hawaii very nicely.
    - bit bluff in the bow
    - get under the floorboards and look at the turn of the bilge - Folkes had a tendancy to foam right into the bilge, and if someone hasn't taken care, there could be a corrosion issue there.
    - Folkes also installed fuel & water vents too low in some boats - ie below the rail, where prolonged sailing on one tack would keep them submerged long enough to draw water in - that one was painful. Seems to me Two Jacks was built after mine, shouldn't have that issue.

Rest of boat was fine - enjoyed ours.

2. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

Thanks for the head's-up, nofacey. I'd be a pretty tough customer to please on a used steel hull boat, as I'd want to access most areas, and x-ray the rest. There are a few for sale in Vancouver, Victoria, etc., but the only one I've seen that I'd buy is a 44 foot Brewer that Rick Roberts owns, but he just raised the price from $87,000 to $96,000 , so he & I are heading in the wrong direction. Oh well, I'll probably just hop a plane back to asia & start my own build. Still, I've been looking forward to making that trip, for quite a few years. Who knows.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.