Clr And Ce

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by locksafe, Apr 27, 2009.

1. locksafe

locksafe Junior Member

I would like to change the existing sloop rig on a Vivacity 20 sailboat to either a junk rig or balanced lug sail of the same size or 10% bigger than the existing rig in a tabernacle for easier setting up of the boat after trailing to the coast or dam (lake)

I do need some guidance on the choice between the two rigs as i know very little about the suitability of the balanced lug for offshore cruising .
    What i do know is that i want something other than the sloop with its high cost of rigging , gybes . dragging of wet sails below and foredeck work in dangerous conditions .

I also need some advise regarding the CE and CLR of the Vivacity 20 in order for me to locate the new mast position .

I would appreciate any help regarding these issues.
    thanks , Hannes

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Your little English pocket yacht is fairly well regarded, though there isn't a lot of information about it on the net.

It was designed in the early 60's, over a 1,000 built according to my records. She's a moderately heavy chopper gun build and stiff under sail.

175 sq. ft. on a 2,000 pound boat seems a little light particularly with her ballast ratio, so you might be able to tolerate some additional area.

You need to contact a qualified designer. The upgrades and modifications you've suggested will require a good bit of experience and understanding to pull off successfully.

It can be done, but it will be a reasonably extensive set of modifications.

3. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

locksafe,

If I may, a Vivacity is not a high cost boat to maintain in any way, she is only a nice little tub, i know them well, haveing looked after a few in my yard. There is NOTHING on the boat that can cost more than a few dollars, set up a nice lazyjack system for the main, the headsails would fit into your pocket, so they are hardly cumbersome, and if you like, you can get a rolling headsail furler, so much for that sail too then.

They are a nice sailing boat, just enjoy her as she is rigged, anything else is certainly going to cost money. If sails are expensive to you, there are plenty of good used racing sails around that would fit her easily, get in contact with your local sailmaker, offer to sweep his floors or something for him and he will give em to you cratis.

If you are over 18 and working, and you find the cost of maintenance too much, maybe then owning a sail boat is also not a good idea.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.