Shaping parts in solidworks to hullshape from Maxsurf

Discussion in 'Software' started by ClassicYacht, Nov 19, 2009.

1. ClassicYacht

ClassicYacht New Member

Hi,

I imported a hulldesign from maxsurf as iges into solidworks. In solid works I thickened the hullsurface. That worked out really well. Now I want to design the structure and interior. How can I cut parts like bulkheads to the hullshape. Can I do it in the assembly?

I am looking forward for your help.

Thanks!

2. rnikola

rnikola New Member

Hi ClassicYacht,

If you have hull, it is quite easy to get frames and bulkheads.

When you open new part, go to "insert" and select "Part". Than insert hull part into new part. When you insert hull than you need to make planes in which you place frames and bulkheads. Than select one plane and make new sketch, select hull surface( note that all the time I'm talking about surface not body for the hull) and click "intersection curve" it is second function of "convert entities" button. Than you will get line for the frame or bulkhead.

I hope so that you understand process, if you don't I'll explain it with pictures.

Cheers

Attached Files:

3. ClassicYacht

ClassicYacht New Member

Thanks alot for your help! It worked! After extruding your sketches do you just cut the part to the hullsurface to get the right bevel? Do you do it for every part like that and do you put it than together in the assemble?
    Do you thicken the hullsurface at all? With what feature? Sometimes it works for me and somtimes not. I haven't understood why.

Thanks so much!

4. rnikola

rnikola New Member

Cheers,

First of all I work with MultiSurf, and because of that I have no problem with any surface in SW. When I design steel yachts I don't thicken hull plates, no need. When I design composite boat I do thicken because of mold design, but for assembly file with engine, pumps, generator..... no i never thicken plate. Development of plate I do in MS with position of frames which are imported from SW because MS-SW connection is live and hull surface is not dead.

Regarding extruding of sketches I always assume that surface is inner side of plate. When you know that you just offset intersection line of you sketch plane and hull for tolerance that is normal in you production facility, after that make in the same sketch your frame with all lightning holes, cable routes...... and extrude that. Now you have your frame. Than delete surface of the hull.

When you make assembly first of all insert Hull, after that all frames are inserted without mates, you insert them as "Origin to Origin" Like that your *** file will be much easier to with.

I don't know if i answer to all your question but I think that you have enough to tray to make some small boat. And yes, try to make part of structure in configurations that helps allot.

Cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.