shaping / cutting PU foam slab

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by nevilleh, Sep 4, 2008.

1. nevilleh

nevilleh Junior Member

Hi guys.

Just wondering what everybody else uses to cut PU foam slab. I am cutting 8 foot lengths for reinforcement. They are approx 6" wide x 4" tall with mitred corners.

I use a bandsaw . Cuts like butter. I am cutting alot of these.

Just wondering if this was the normal way of cutting foam slab.?

Thanks in advance. Neville.

Scotland

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i use whatever is closest,,hehe,, if a bandsaw works good for you,, i'd stay with it,,,, ive used everything from a handsaw to a sawz-all, and even a big ole knife once,,hehe ;) ( have no idea why that was close by haha)

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

I've used a makeshift wooden setup with a mains transformer and a piece of metal wire with high electrical resistance, like nickel. A spring on one side keeps the wire taut when it get hot and stretches.
    Slower than a bandsaw but not so messy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.