Opinions Needed for Trawler Build

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by phishown, Aug 18, 2010.

1. phishown

phishown Junior Member

I am wanting to build a small version of the biloxi lugger.......I would like to build the top side of this lugger design on the hull pictured below. The hull is 30' x 9.5" has a max freeboard of 47" in the bow area to waterline and 27" freeboard at the minimum to waterline. I would add about 2' to the stern. My only concerns are plowing through 3' -4' waves with the low freeboard. My plan would be an inland trawler with the the occasional crossing of a pass encountering these wave heights. I would also add a keel with a rudder shoe to protect he prop. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mark T

Attached Files:

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

occasional crossing of a pass encountering these wave heights

No big deal, you will get waves over the bow , so what?

The fwd part of the deck house must be strong enough to take the impacts , any fwd hatch should be really high quality , and the waterways must be free and wide enough so a foot or two of water leaves with ease.

Deck penitrations for chain or anchor lines must be water tight ,an anchor carried on the bow will require care in securing.

Have fun,

FF

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

The Biloxi Lugger is a displacement vessel, the hull above seems to be a planing boat.
    You are aware of the fact that this hull will perform poorly at displacement speeds?

Regards
    Richard

4. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Phish......

Without a fairly complete design you don't know the displacement, thus you don't know the freeboard when she's done.......I'll assume the freeboard you are quoting is from some completed boat on this hull. Unless the completed boat has the house, systems, and interior that you intend it will float at some different waterline. There's no telling what the finished freeboard will be from the info you have posted.

5. phishown

phishown Junior Member

I understand what you guys are saying now that you have brought this to my attention. This was a concern because of the freeboard as it sits. I would love to find a 33' navy utility hull made by willard. What are your thoughts on this hull if I could find one.

Mark

6. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Mark,
    There's a man here in Thorne Bay who has one. It's a big, heavy planing hull. Much like a Uniflite.
    See the Atkin boay plans web site:

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/

Look at the River Belle, Wader and lots of other boats. Atkin was an expert on flat bottoms and Sea Bright skiffs. FAST FRED knows and has a lot of interest
    in River Belle.

Easy Rider

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.