Shaft angle for old inboard project

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by Luchog, Dec 6, 2005.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I grew up in Montevideo and did a fair amount of cruising in the Uruguay and Parana.

2. Luchog

Luchog Junior Member

I have talked to many people on this topic and I'm handling the possibility of doing a rear engine install with a V-drive unit to avoid cardanic transmission and possible issues there.
    Since this will require a wider shaft angle it will help lift the stern to handle engine/transmission weight (800lbs aprox).
    I'm looking for a Velvet V-drive 71c, but I can get a good deal on a new Paragon V-drive, any suggestions?

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

As long as it is rated for the HP there is no major difference.

4. dsharp

dsharp Junior Member

Before you buy the 1.5 Paragon v-drive you need to make sure you can get the bigger prop under the boat unless you're planning on changing the strut. If you decide to go straight inboard- engine placement is often dictated by the depth of the oil pan and bellhousing with respect to the crankshaft centerline. You should be able to get the dimensions from the manufacturer. They're all about the same for the small block chevy's. You can always move your fuel tank or have a tank built to mount across the stern up against the transom if you're worried about being bow heavy. I don't remember the weight on the paragon v-drives but they are heavy as hell. I personally don't care for v-drives. As a mechanic it's hell to re-pack and check the stuffing box. I like to keep my eye on the stuffing box. If you're going to leave the boat on a trailer it won't be that big of a deal though. I've seen my dad do this type of conversion about 10 times. He would lay 2 sheets of plywood down in the shop and draw out the bottom of the boat to figure out the struts, shaftlog placement and dimensions. I should have paid more attention.

5. Luchog

Luchog Junior Member

It has been a tough choice, but I have decided to do a direct drive install, wich is easier and cheaper, next month we'll start re-doing the stringers, then we'll place the engine and calculate space for the propeller since I have a 1:1 Velvet Drive, wich I might change to 1:1.23 or 1:1.5 but not sure about this yet.
    Fuel thank would be located on the stern against the transom 150lts aprox, and batteries somewhere in the bilge to compesate some weight where needed
    this boat is meant to move some weight since this is a wakeboard boat project.
    any comments are appreciated

6. The Island Man

The Island Man New Member

Transmission Ratios

Hi
    I'm just wondering if you can turn the motor one revolution and the prop two revolutions is that what you mean when you say 1: 1:23 is that like 1 & 1/4 revolutions ? When I heard like a 1.5 to 1 or 2.5 to 1 I always thought the motor was turning more that the prop ? I never heard of it in the reverse ?

7. Luchog

Luchog Junior Member

Well, this project has been dead for months now, I've been to busy with work and getting the money needed for the overhaul process.
    I still have the Velvet 1:1, I have a buyer for it and my idea was to sell it and get a PCM 1.23:1 8ยบ drive.

Now I have found out about Walter direct-mounted V-drives, and was wondering if it might not be better to keep the Borgwarner Tranny and add it a Walter V-drive, but I can't find any princing for them. Does anyone know where can I get pricing for them?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.