velvet drive transmission problems

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by apesofdoom, Aug 6, 2022.

1. apesofdoom

apesofdoom New Member

Hey guys I'm in look for some help with my transmission before I put it all back together again.
    The short back story. I had low transmission fluid and the forward clutch pack burned up. I pulled the transmission out rebuilt it with a rebuild kit. Mostly everything looked to be in good shape besides the forward piston. It had been wearing on the input shaft snap ring and didn't have a bevel anymore. I cleaned up the bevel and reassembled the transmission. I everything felt smooth and was in working order when I reassembled the boat. We took the boat out for a test run and it worked great with no issues. The next time we took the boat out we went about 5 miles from the dock and after stopped we lost forward, we still have reverse though. Forward still kinda worked but it was just enough to keep up with the river's current. I didn't want to push the transmission to see if I could build pressure to see if I could get it work. Something was wrong and I didn't want to overheat the transmission again. luckily we got towed in back to the dock.

I was unable to test the transmission pressure as I was having difficulties removing the plug and was going to be pulling it out again to figure out what happened. I disassembled the transmission again today to see what was wrong. The fluid did have some metal in it again but to my surprise the forward clutches are still in good shape! At this point I'm going to replace some of the major components like the oil pump because I want to make sure it has adequate oil pressure. The big concerning factor is the metal that I was seeing is coming from the forward piston again, and I will be including pictures of what I'm concerned with. What I don't understand is why my forward piston is rubbing so bad and eating it's self alive. I'm afraid that if I replace the forward piston the new one will just do the same and eat itself.

Here is a few pictures of some parts that I am concerned about.

I am also curious my shifter selector valve if is in good shape. The cooler sleave does still slide easily. My main concern is with my forward piston is wearing like it is. I have checked my bushings in the output shat and they are not spun or have any grooves in them. I have it all torn apart right now so if there are anything I should take a picture of to check, let me know.

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Did you replace the seal rings too?

3. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

I know you just rebuilt it, but I’d do it all over again, since it’s open and you failed to do the most important diagnostic (pressure test) before tearing it down again.
    Maybe a pinched O ring, or incorrectly stacked plates?
    Make sure all the little springs get back in their correct holes, there’s different configurations.
    I have bench tested these trannys by spinning them with a big 1/2” drill using a piece of radiator hose clamped to the input shaft and McGuyvered onto the drill chuck.
    If you can get 500 rpm, it’s enough to generate operating pressure and shift function without reinstalling in the boat.

4. apesofdoom

apesofdoom New Member

yes I did, and they still look in good shape.

5. apesofdoom

apesofdoom New Member

Yes I understand the importance of the pressure test. I was having issues getting the plug out while it was in the boat. I have a good feeling that I am having a low pressure issue. I will give the drill bench test a shot when I get it back together. The big thing that I am wondering about is the ware that I am seeing on the forward piston.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.