Severe fiberglass transom damage

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Mak1999, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

I would build a cradle to hold her, not stands.

fallguy likes this.
  2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

You need to get it up onto a cradle. Basically, you need it on bunking that goes from the keel to chine each side.

A common mistake is to remove the cap without something in place and the boat opens up wide. Another good idea is to put some references on the transom and make some measurements you can refer to once it is all apart.

Also, if you need to replace stringers, it is better to do one at a time. If you remove a stringer without proper cradling; the boat can lose her shape easily.

3. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Senior Member

are you talking about an american mako or the savage mako in the 80's.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

No, it was the American one, may have been built here though. Fairly shallow vee aft, and not dependable in a following sea, I was told. In any event, also likely to be a "kidney relocator". One of a few glass centre consoles, making their way on to the market on the late 70's into the 80's. Another one that was being built here under licence was the Donzi 19, a different proposition, a good hull.

5. brendan gardam

Ok, I went for a ride in a new mako center console when i was a kid; it had 2 70 johnsons. I thought it was made by savage but it may have been imported. I had 1 of those donzis built in melbourne; they ruined them by adding the half cab and outboard, made them too top heavy.

6. Mr Efficiency

OK, so how did you like the Donzi ?

7. brendan gardam

ok, i went for a ride in a new mako centerconsole when i was a kid , it had 2 70 johnsons, i thought it was made by savage but it may have been imported. i had 1 of those donzis built in melbourne, they ruined them by adding the half cab and outboard, made them to top heavy.
    the donzi was a great riding hull but rolled like hell when trying to fish. if they had left it as a sterndrive runabout it would have been a lot more stable.

8. Mr Efficiency

Not a real deep vee, (19 degrees ?) I saw one for sale once when I was in the market for a boat, and thought about it, but decided to go another way. Still, a lot of people who have to run long stretches of bumpy water, are prepared to accept the compromise of a slightly tippy boat. I take it yours had the sterndrive ?

9. brendan gardam

no, outboard and cabin, thats what made it tippy. i would like another one though. i would put one of those kapten boat collars on it then have the best of both worlds.

10. Mr Efficiency

I only saw them with the SD, and thought they all had it. Wrong. In that case, understandable you found it less satisfactory. I think with the open bow, a lot would be leery of the reverse sheerline as well. Still, a classic hull, and I'd have liked a run in one. I think I stuck with the Shark Cat at the time.

11. brendan gardam

tried to upload a photo but its not working. i would not compare the donzi to a sharkcat. sharkcat is in a league of its own.

12. brendan gardam

13. brendan gardam

there you go. i can upload photos with my phone but not on the pc.

14. Mr Efficiency

That is an interesting picture, certainly looks like a Donzi bottom, and probably 22 degrees, but the sides look different to what I was looking at, there was a lot of hollow flare forward, and reverse sheer, so I'm not sure the story was with those CC sterndrives ones.

15. brendan gardam

there are a few of these around victoria. this one sat in a cousins paddock for years before i rescued it. the people i sold it to have got it looking really nice now. they were built off a donzi classic mold and modified by a company in melbourne.