Several sheared engine parts

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Pete_M, May 25, 2008.

1. Pete_M

Pete_M Junior Member

I had a difficult day with my 2hp outboard yamaha last weekend. I must have pulled the on starter cord 100 times throughout the day trying to get the engine started.

At somepoint after i got it started, i noticed that beneath the outer casing of the motor, the shaft of the starter casing had broken. I opened up the motor today and found that this piece had broken off, and also that the engine was in 2 pieces. The carburetor body had sheared off from the rest of the motor.

I can't tell if this problem can be fixed by getting a new carburetor or if the carburetor is mounted to some other piece of the moter which broke.

So, i have 2 questions: How bad is this repair? And secondly, is it likely that i did this by pulling too hard trying to start it?

The crazy thing is that the engine started today....

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Pete

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

You pulled too hard, Pete. Better tear it down and find out what you broke.
    Hard to tell from here.

A.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.