Setting up boat plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Nomad, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

I have been thinking about making some boat plans (some free and some to sell). I have the basic idea o what to do, but exactly how far in detail do you have to explain the hull, construction, etc. Also how do you go about protecting your self(from people stealing your designs, or sueing for faulty work on their end)

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The copyright laws protect your design. However, any change of more than 10% makes it into a new design. The designs usually have as a minimum structural specifications and scantlings. Construction details are extras that top architects always include. Depending on your claims, your liability can be considerable. For example, I've built many Sportfishermen, and in the specifications there is a top speed. The designer has a penalty if the boat does not reach it.

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Re liability...
    moreover, if somebody goes to sea in something you've designed and it can be shown that they sank due to a problem with the design, it won't only be the boat that goes to the bottom.
    In the litigeous world that we live nowadays, good liability / indemnity insurance is a must.

4. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

I kind of talked my self out of it on the ride to IBEX. There is too much to deal with. I don't need anymore of a hassle than I already have as a boat builder.....

5. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Maybe the #1 reason why there have been few if any offshore / performance powerboat plans relased in the last 5-10 years ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.