settee below the cockpit ?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Angélique, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Just noticed in an sales ad the unusual interior layout of a Neptune 99, she has a settee around the engine box that services as a table as well, and this all below a two level cockpit....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 - does not exist

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14 - 15 - 16 - don't exist

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below an outside picture of the two level cockpit of another Neptune 99 for sale, and here's another with a cockpit overview picture...

A
    [​IMG]

B
    [​IMG]

Here 15 more pictures of one for sale, and here's a Neptune 99 rental with 10 pictures, but couldn't find much pictures of one sailing though :confused:

So, anyone any thoughts about this living below the cockpit setup, as well as this daggerboard boat in general ? ?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  2. SailorAlan

SailorAlan Junior Member

The interior is interesting if unconventional. It has some interesting concepts but I think I'd redo it if she was mine. She looks fast and wet. I'd probably want to add a storm room over the upper cockpit, like on the Dashew's Sundeers.

3. SailorAlan

SailorAlan Junior Member

I really like the hullshape, if the dagger board is unballasted then I REALLY like it. I'd prefer a plumb stem for a longer waterline, and a split rig. Its unfortunate that the prop and rudder aren't better protected.

4. Angélique

Thanks Alan,

However in Picture 18 (drawing) the shading of the daggerboard tip indicates lead there I think, as it's the same shading as in the keel center of the boat.

5. SailorAlan

SailorAlan Junior Member

I see that now. I can definitely see the benefits of moveable ballast but I feel like the necessary additional complexity isn't worth it in low budget build or in a longterm cruiser.
    There is an awful lot about this boat to like.
    I personally need to be in a spot where I can glance up and see around the boat whether at sea or at anchor. I could really only be comfortable in that settee tied to a dock. I can't tell you how many times my boat or one nearby has been saved because someone glanced up at the right time.

Angélique likes this.
  6. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

I agree Alan keeping an eye up on deck is a great idea. The settee around the engine box is unique that's for sure. Normally it's midships as there is typically more space and it helps keep the diesel & other engine fluids away from food/water. I have sailed in a lot of storms and can picture water from boots, rain gear and the companionway dripping and splashing onto that aft table. For this reason alone I would prefer a center galley area. This frees up more room back aft for wider aft quarter births on port & starboard. Most yachts today are configured this way. In any case, it's a unique design I'll give it that.

On the topic of weather and keeping eyes on deck, one sailing configuration I really like is a nav + weather station just below deck and forward of the helm. If you're on the helm and want a weather update, just tap your toe on the nav station hatch and get a wind/weather update. On nice days you can leave that nav station hatch open and watch the nav & weather instruments. I've sailed in smaller ~45ft boats with this configuration and larger ones too. A must for a good design in my opinion.

Attached Files:

Angélique likes this.
  7. SailorAlan

SailorAlan Junior Member

My last boat had big deadlights in a raised nav area and salon. From the helm you could check the laptop through a 14"x18" window. The boat I'm running now has this... 14982443593772080873455.jpg

JosephT likes this.
  8. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

That will do it. Looks like you've got a hard top for protection too. Ready for the storms!

9. SailorAlan

SailorAlan Junior Member

Its great at anchor but still pretty open in a seaway. And we stow the cushions when it rains.

10. Angélique

Great point Alan, thanks for your valuable comments both Alan and Joseph !!

11. Fred Roswold

Fred Roswold Junior Member

Not entirely unique. WD Schock NY 36, William Cook design was similar, and a very sweet sailboat.

NY36.jpg
    My own yacht Serendipity 43 (Wings) also has the Settee and table (engine box) under the cockpit.
    Wings Interior looking Aft.jpg

Wings' Plan.jpg
    This layout has been excellent for us. In port we sleep aft. At sea we sleep in the settee, (with lee cloth). The watch stander is usually on deck under the dodger while the boat sails by itself on the wind vane. The on-watch person and the off-watch person are very close for easy communication. (Usually the boat is sailed double handed). For more shots of the interior go here <Wingssail Images-Cruising Photos from Around the Pacific> http://wingssail-images.blogspot.mx/2005/06/wings-interior.html. For exterior view and information go here <Wingssail Images-Cruising Photos from Around the Pacific> http://wingssail-images.blogspot.mx/2008/01/wings.html

Fred Roswold, SV Wings, Mexico

12. Angélique

Hi Fred,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this setup, and also for the other info and the links ! :)

I've just looked at a New York Schock 36 that's for sale in the Netherlands, here's a pic 0f the dinette below the cockpit . . .

[​IMG]

P.S. - - It gives an accessible engine for sure . . .

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.