**help** 225 Pro-xs Setup-running Out Of Time

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by spicy-d, Jul 25, 2008.

1. spicy-d

spicy-d New Member

I have a 2008 Blazer Bay 2220 Fisherman with a 20” transom, a Bob’s Hydraulic 10” Jack plate, and a Mercury Optimax 225 Pro-XS, with a 20” shaft. My cavitation / AV plate sits 5 ½” above the keel, which is approximately 2 ½” above the pocket. At WOT and level trim, I can only go up on the Jack plate to 1 ½” before I start losing water pressure and coming close to max rpm’s. The Jack plate is mounted at the top of the Transom. There are only four holes in the Jack plate for mounting, no more adjustment. The Motor is on the lowest bolt holes, no more adjustment. At WOT I rarely get 18.0 psi, and have only achieved 19.0 once. My hole shot sucks although with a three blade 21P Tempest plus, and a four Blade 23P Bravo, I can still run 53 mph loaded and 57 mph empty or three people, with a full tank of gas (60 gals), per Garmin 540s gps.
    I’ve talked extensively to a prop shop that has a National reputation. I know and respect the owner, have for many years. He states that there is nothing that I can do as far as prop goes. He as well as most people I’ve talked to stated that I need to drop the motor a minimum of 4 inches which means that I have to have four more holes in the transom, or some other modification or go with the easiest solution which would be changing to a 25” shaft. That’s where it gets difficult. I received the boat on June 13th, 2008. The boat had several discrepancies, fiber glass issues etc. Blazer is going to take care of all of that, they are supposed to pick the boat up this week and take it back to Florida. This is the second time that they will make repairs. The first time they had the boat, the Pres, or VP/ Owner ran the boat and sent it back with the four blade instead of the three blade, but said there were no problems, however the plant manager (in a conference call with me and dealer) said that he would not take the boat set up this way. I took the boat back and a weekend of fishing shortly after getting it back from Blazer, I fished just out of the bay, 2-3 miles (Cocodrie Louisiana) offshore. When running back to the landing, we had maybe 2’ chop. I was catching a lot of air.
    When the boat comes back from FL, the dealer is going to run the boat with me. Although I’ve had boats since I was old enough to operate one, I am no expert on any aspect of engine set-ups, etc. He ran the boat when it first came back from Blazer and noticed the drop in water psi and only being able to trim up on the Jack plate 1 ½” before losing water psi, but said that it was ok. I went with that, and didn’t think it was right but agreed to try it any way. When in the chop, it got worse. He says that a 25” shaft will look like a monster/ awkward (I really don’t care what that looks like if it performs like it’s supposed to) and really does not want to do that.
    Anyone know what the proper set-up is? I fish shallow water and it’s great to be able to jack all the way up and putt-putt out of shallow water but what’s the since in a jack plate if I can’t trim up more than 1 ½ inches to run fast or WOT in shallow water. If I can only putt-putt out of shallow water I may as well not use the Jack plate and use the trolling motor.
    I think that I may need a 25” shaft, but I need ammo to argue this if I’m going to go to battle for it, due to my lack of knowledge in the set-up.
    What psi should I get at what RPM? What’s the min. and Max.? I’ve heard more than 18.0 psi (which like I said is seldom), and definitely not what I get in chop.
    If I do win the battle for a 25” shaft, I want to be certain that it’s the right thing to do because if I get the 25” shaft and it makes matters worse, or causes new issues, as far as drag, etc. then there’s no returning unless it be at my expense. If the 25” shaft is the answer then it will be at no cost to me due to the fact that the boat was ordered with that set-up by the dealer. The only options that I ordered were stuff such as gps, swim platform, etc. The trim tabs etc. came with the boat, dealers order.
    Blazer states that they’ve sold many set-ups like this, however mine is the first with a 225 pro-xs. I’ve been told to plug some of the top holes in the water pick-ups, due to the motor being set too high, they are catching too much air and my high speed pick-ups are doing the job. I cannot plug any holes because that will invalidate the warranty.
    What do I do? We’re going to run the boat in chop and smooth water the first week of August, so I need some expert opinions before then, and be able to give him (dealer) reference etc. to back up what I tell him.
    If anyone wants to see pictures of the boat, I posted them at a private web-site http://www.brookfacey.com/Blazer/
    If you care to see the post that I put on Blazer’s site (they were not happy about that and expressed this in the conference call we had, but everything there is the truth) http://www.blazerboats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=222&sid=de80edd4719c9bcb5f79b0b0c8fcbb5e
    The boat specs can be viewed at Blazer’s site http://www.blazerboats.com/boats/bay/blazer-bay-2220-fisherman

2. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

can you post a photo from behind the boat at cav plate level looking forward and post it.

3. spicy-d

spicy-d New Member

Blazer Bay

This is the best I can do right now. The boat is in Florida at Blazer. I got a call from them today and they are going to swap out the Bob's Jack Plate with another jack plate that has the same set-back but it will not be as high as Bob's. They said that should drop it a couple inches and it has more than 4 hole so it can be adjusted unlike Bob's.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.