Scuba Diving boat design and construction

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Panama Jack, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Junior Member

Guys....This scuba diving boat is a some kind of retirement project and I am looking for help on a design and construction for this project. I am looking at a boat within 36 feet with capacity for 12 plus divers and equipment.....I am a very experience welder with some experience on boat construction but I am looking for good Ideas in this kind of project..... I will Appreciate any help and suggestions.....Thanks...:confused:

2. jonr

jonr Senior Member

One thing I dislike is a stern ladder where in heavy seas, it lifts up and if you aren't careful, smashes into your head. The bottom of the ladder should be rounded, padded and stay at least 1 meter below the surface.

3. Panama Jack

Totally Right....

You do not want no customers to be bang on the head....I have seen few boats but my question is....Does somebody know a company where you could send the picture and get the PLANS AND CUTS FOR THE STEEL somebody really good at this no big 1/2 inch gaps to weld...

4. Panama Jack

5. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Before buying plans or building a boat you may want to check with your local Coast Guard office.

6. Panama Jack

Thanks.....

that is why I looking for a Company with reputation on boat construction. I do not want to send the patterns to the steel cut shop and find out that nothing match ....

7. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Well yes, I agree.......I think you have at least two major problems. One is find a design that is build-able, the other is to find a design that meets USCG regulations for passenger carrying vessels.

8. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

9. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

Steel is not the best idea for a day trips diving boat. These boats go close to the beaches or even beach, a lot of material (about 40 kg per diver) is perpetually moved in and out, and the tanks and leads are a nightmare for any metal deck. The steel boat will be very hard to maintain, and will be awfully heavy.
    A alu boat is better if the deck is protected against the tanks and leads. The best is polyester with polypropylene honeycomb deck. These decks are very resilient, simple to make and if the resin is coloured in the mass very easy to keep nice. Rubber carpets are a good choice also.
    The PADI standards precise one instructor per 4 clients in a lot of cases. So 12 divers is not a good cipher. You can take 4*2 clients plus 2 instructors= 10 or 4*3 clients plus 3 instructor=15. Add a captain plus a mariner. Better to go to the 15 divers, because the boat can be used for 20-22 snorkelers also. So make the seats for 22 persons. (snorkeling trips pays far better than diving trips...). Keep the max speed at 24 knots faster is uncomfortable, except if the diving sites are very far like in Thailand.
    You can count that the total weight of a diver is 70 kg plus 40 kg of material (2 tanks 17 kg each, 6 kg leads and other)=110 kg...
    Thinks also about all the advantages of a multi-use catamaran (snorkeling, diving, sport fishing and tourist drives) in tropical clement waters. Just a platform and a roof, 2 hulls, 2 outboards and movable seats for each use... The surface deck is usefully enormous.

May you give more precisions: live a board or short day trips? Boats with living amenities are very expensive...Add the place needed for 2 air breathing compressors, 2 generators, a shop, room for 15-17 persons etc... were are talking of millions of dollars...The profits are at best marginal.

1 person likes this.
  10. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Ilan gave you the lead. You have to define the mission of your dive boat. There are basically two types of dive boats.
    1. Day/Night dive- where travel time is short in relation to dive hours. More time is spent diving than travelling. A bare minimum boat needs a tank rack, a deck shower, and a roof top (canvass will do). The boat needs to travel fast for its size yet remain comfortable when in anchorage. Low freeboard boats seems to be the favorite.
    2, Live aboard- Where travel time is long and divers need a whole day/night to maximize the dive. They need a place to stay comfortable, keep their gears dry, or simply congregate. This means a saloon which can also double as dining. Bigger boats will need cabins and a kitchen to prepare meals, not to mention a large shower room with privacy.

Longer dives means also more gears/tanks are stowed or there must be a provision to replenish the air tanks. A dive platform must be provided.

In both cases, consider that consumables (FW, FO, Provisions) go up rapidly if mission go up for more than a day. Take FW alone. The standard is about the crew/passenger weight in kg/day.

The difference in cost of the boat can be quite staggerring.

11. Panama Jack

I am looking at a Day trip scuba diving to be operated in Panama Rep of Panama and I plan to build the boat here in Houston and then finish it in Panama So far I have not find anything but custom made boats with prices ranging between 200.000.00 and 150 k ....Way too expensive....I am in the process of getting some pictures...

12. jonr

jonr Senior Member

I don't know, but it seems like there should be some older boats that could be converted to a dive boat.

13. Alik

Alik Senior Member

We have designed a lot of such boats, in range 26-52', catamarans.

14. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"with capacity for 12 plus divers "

This will be an inspected vessel, and the USCG will have a lot to say about how it is designed , built and tested.

You will also require a license to operate it.

15. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

Instead of making it in the States and bringing it to Panama with all the problems of travel and customs, you'll better contact EDUARDOÑO in Colombia. They make pretty good simple boats in polyester and know very well about day-diving boats. The price will be better...
    http://www.eduardono.com/site/
    They do have a basic day-diving boat
    http://www.eduardono.com/site/Boats...BottomBoats/Diver320ST/tabid/648/Default.aspx

Eduardoño sells in Panama and the boats are certified. They have a bigger model Expresso 380, a favourite of the narcos for smuggling cocaine from Colombia to Mexico, that makes a very good diving boat.

There is no need to go on customs boats unless you have very specific needs like a lauching diving boat or very big sizes. Except very big diving shops it's better and less expensive to operate with several small boats than a big one if the diving sites are close (less tan 1.5 hour of travel). The Yamaha 4 strokes last long (forget the other brands...) or another step is the Mercruiser 5.7 or 6 liters FWC with a Bravo2 18 to 20 inches 4 blades, it's my preferred if you have a convenient hull for that (lone con. keep an eye oh the risers!).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.