Semi-Custom 38' Buehler Duck

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Frogwatch, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Frogwatch

Frogwatch Junior Member

I am interested in Buehlers 38' Diesel Duck, however, most places where I normally cruise are too shallow for the 4'9" draft. Is it feasible to reduce her draft to 4'? Even 4' is too much if fully loaded. Are there similar designs combining an easily power driven hull with back-up sails.
    I am interested in either fully building it myself in wood or partially building from a steel hull. I have built smaller boats.

2. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

A few questions for you;
    What are your "normal" cruising grounds?
    How many people do you cruise with (most Buehler boats can only accommodate 2)
    What is your cruising style, do you perfer to anchor out or pay dockage?
    Why not look into more of a motor sailor, the Ducks don't seem like they'd go well to windward to me, a problem if your engine gets in trouble and the port your making is dead to windward.
    From experience it's cheaper to buy a good used boat than build a new one, unless like myself the build is part of the appeal...
    I do like the ducks but as powerboats sailing rig omitted completely.

3. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

I wouldn't try to change the draft on pretty much any boat though there are other designs that have a shallower draft and i think that a center board solves alot of draft problems for a lot shallow water cruising....at the penalty of taking up space.... I'll check out a few different ideas to show you if your interested, also for the feasibility if your stuck on the ducks just talk to Buehler and I'm sure he'd be willing to give advice on the matter of draft reduction but I don't believe that it'd be free or considered a good idea .....just my $0.02.

4. Frogwatch

Frogwatch Junior Member

Normal cruising grounds: The whole coast of FL but mostly the very shallow far NE corner from Apalachicola to Tarpon Springs where if you can see land you are aground. However, I am now cruising the bahamas in my 28' S2 sailboat with 3'10" draft. Just spent 10 days with 4 friends aboard, of course we are all cavers who think anything 6" high is a lot of space. On the 28', I intend to go as far south as I feel comfy.
    Seriously, it would mostly be two -3 people. My cruising is very spartan but since I am getting a bit older (55) I sort of want a bit more space.
    Over the years, I have found I spend at least 50% of my cruising time motor/sailing. Consequently, I changed out the original 6.5 hp diesel on my S2 for a 13 hp. I really like sails as a backup and have needed them too so this is a requirement. Sailing to windward? Why bother?
    I'd like a pilothouse just for the room and because as I get older I can foresee going up and down the companionway a hundred times a day to be onerous.
    Why build? Mostly for fun as I know from building my 20' Tolman Skiff that there is no money savings in it.

5. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

There's actually a boat up here that I'll try to get some pictures of her tomorrow and find some info on her for you, she looks about 40' very shallow draft for her size 2 1/2 - 3" hard to tell exactly with a pilot house and a small ketch rig, double ender, obviously a one off, and steel hulled. she has a center board for use when sailing, I'll see what i can turn up on her.......

6. Frogwatch

Frogwatch Junior Member

Hmm, sounds interesting. I would appreciate some info.

Frogwatch

7. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Suggest you look at some of the design by Dave Gerr (Gerr Marine). He's done a number that feature very shallow draft... though I'm not sure about them being combined with sails...

1 person likes this.
  8. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

I took a drive over there today but unfortunately forgot my camera, but her owner was there. Turns out she's a modified Norwalk Island Sharpie, and I was wrong about the steel, she's actually a ply built boat and the drafts about 3' board up and a little spartan for my likes, but here's a link to the company's site for what it's worth....
    www.nisboats.com

9. Frogwatch

Frogwatch Junior Member

A modified Sharpie? Modified in what way, does she have a higher cabin? What kind of motor does she have? Unfortunately, the Norwalk Sharpie site has no specs.

Thanks

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Call George. He's out in deep water on the wast coast, so shoals are only things he reads about. From what I recollect of the Duck series, you don't have much to cut off to reduce draft.

He uses a big timber keel, which can be solid or a 2x10 laminate. If you replace the "rabbit" potion of this with a steel "I" beam, you could eliminate the whole assembly, for the most part, which would reduce the draft by a foot, maybe a little more. Unfortunately, you'd also lose prop diameter and rudder depth.

Call George, but I know what he'll say. Maybe a true shoal design is what you need. Living in sunny Florida, I can assure you that you can easily putter around with 4' 9" of draft, though you will have to dink in and out, plus be aware of the thickness of the wet under you.

11. Frogwatch

Frogwatch Junior Member

I have been in touch with Buehler and he says the 38' Duck actually has about 6" more draft than 4'9" making it a non-possibility. Here in the Big Bend area of Fl from Carrabelle to TArpon Springs, if you can see land, you are aground, even with the 3'10" of my current boat so 4' or less is an absolute necessity.

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Your design requirements suggest you can't employ a "Duck" design, or anything along the same idea, theme, lines, etc. Since this is the case, develop a design brief or SOR and see what's available in a stock design or possably, a modified stock design.

13. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

You might wish to check the Atkin Site , something like "River Belle" in light weight modern materials might suit your needs.

This is NOT a To Tahiti design , but suitable for coasting the pan handle.

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.