gelcoat substitutes

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by K-36-canvasback, Mar 1, 2008.

1. K-36-canvasback

K-36-canvasback canvasback

I am preparing to make a part in a mold.the mold surface is regular gelcoat & will be waxed with mold release.The part will be fiberglass hand laid into epoxy resin.I would like to know if there are other options for the colour coat.perhaps a two part polyurathane.am concerned that the epoxy wont bond to it or even if epoxy will bond to a polyester gelcoat.Anybody have experience with this?

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

You can bond epoxy to polyester quite well, not the other waty around.
    Epoxy over a poly gelcoat is quite OK.

3. K-36-canvasback

Any idea about using Awlgrip or Endura for this same purpose.I was wondering if these two parters will lay onto the waxed mould or if there would be a negative reaction to the mould release.Also will the epoxy then bond to it without sanding?

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Mate, you have no hope on earth of syraying a twp pack linear ployurethane paint onto a waxed mould.

It will fisheye like you have never seen.

Stick with the gelcoat, it is heap and good, and then paint the product upon release if you must.

5. K-36-canvasback

Landlubber..Thanks for the info.I was wondering about the fisheye thing.Trial and error can get expensive!

6. GG

GG offshore artie

there is a product that is sprayed over jelcoat while it is in the mold & it is called POLYBOND . Douglas Marine /Skater uses this product , because they experienced bond issues with jelcoat on there ( epoxy ) parts G.G.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.