Helm Position

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by IanH, May 26, 2020.

1. IanH

IanH Junior Member

Hi

Thinking about the design of a 40 foot sailboat and I am wondering about the layout of the Amel yachts which have the helm in the forward end of the cockpit.

This looks safe and protected but I was wondering about the view forward from that position. Never been lucky enough to sail one of these yachts.

Any opinions on this layout is it good or are the views restricted.

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Here is a fairly typical example of an Amel yacht from the 80's with a solid spray dodger and roof at the forward end of the cockpit.
    The helm station is on the forward bulkhead in the cockpit, on the port side of the companionway.
    1984 Amel Sharki Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - www.yachtworld.co.uk https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1984/amel-sharki-3242661/
    I guess that visibility could become a bit restricted through the windscreen if a lot of spray is flying about while beating to windward, but no more so than a 40' yacht with a typical canvas dodger. In fact the visibility through a solid windscreen would probably be better.

Changing tack, how are you doing re your search for a boat, regarding your previous post last year?
    Maybe you could update it a bit?
    Sail Boat Plans 34 to 40 feet Round bilge https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/sail-boat-plans-34-to-40-feet-round-bilge.61998/

3. IanH

IanH Junior Member

Thanks for info. I would probably go for a low fixed screen and a main sheet arch. This would allow fabric dodger to fill the gap when required. Looking at the Amel layout with the offset companionway you could conceivably stand in the centre of the boat when at the helm. Which would perhaps negate my concerns regarding different levels of visibility depending on which tack you are on.

Regarding my search for a boat design I think I have decided on a custom design. Not ready to push the button yet as I have two projects to complete first. But planning continues

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Though I have never been on an Amel, the thing that bothered me in the helm forward sailboats I have been on (which include fixed/folding dodgers or bimini's, center cockpits and sail-cats) has been the view up at the sails, not the navigational view out. In some it was almost impossible to sail to the telltales.

5. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

My father owned a Super Maramu. I thought, for ocean sailing, it was dry and felt safe, for nav view, it worked well, for sail trim view, like any larger boat, there are blind spots and you learn to work with them.

I'm a fan of Amel's layout.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.