Farrier F-18

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Rick Emmet, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Rick Emmet

Rick Emmet Rick Emmet

Hello everyone,
    I've been reading comments from all of you for some time; I really enjoy all of your insights and getting your perspective on boats and boat design. I have a simple question; I bought an F-18 the main hull of which was strip planked instead of being made out of plywood. The guy that built the boat lofted the lines himself based on the F-24. I think he built the main hull a little larger than it would have been if it were built out of plywood. Does anyone happen to have plans for an F-18? I've included a jpg of the main hull if that helps.
    Thanks much,
    Rick

Attached Files:

• F18.JPG
      F18.JPG
      File size:
      451.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Hi Rick,
    That hull looks really nice. Ian Farrier has released plans for the 680/720, through one of the australian multihull clubs - the intention being to help people restoring old versions. They aren't licensed for new builds. However much of the info may be applicable to the 18. I'd want a bit more float volume myself.

Other option, talk to ray Kendrick (Team Scarab) who has designed a folding 18 with bigger floats than the early Farriers. He may be able to help with float / crossbeam specs etc.

3. Rick Emmet

Rick Emmet Rick Emmet

Hey Jamez,
    That is awesome to know! Thanks so much for the info (I could have used plans when I was restoring the boat). FYI the floats on my F-18 were enlarged (don't know how much) and I have had the boat out in winds of approximately 25 mph with all the working sails up. This boat is very stable with larger floats. You may want to consider building new crossbeams and floats out of foam core to lighten up the boat. That would take about 150 lbs off my boat.
    Thanks again,
    Rick

4. jamez

jamez Senior Member

5. Rick Emmet

Rick Emmet Rick Emmet

Thank you Jamez, I going online to look at the sites now.
    Cheers,
    Rick

6. Rick Emmet

Rick Emmet Rick Emmet

Hey Jamez,
    Like your cat! If I put video up on Youtube of my F-18 sailing in San Diego, you'd laugh, we get almost no wind here. Looks like you're having a great time sailing.
    Hasta la vista,
    Rick

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.