Self taught or not?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Hampus, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

And it doubles as a torpedo tube!!

-Tom

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What the lesbian strap on? I did'nt know that.

Very informative thread.

3. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Bottom Line...

Hello...
    I am some what done with this - I got attacked for stupid reasons - still a bit pissed off - I just answered a simple question with experience and hard won advice - the original question to this thread was a very weighted and loaded question - tell you what - I will close with this...
    Go to ANY Bank and open an account - tell them that you are a Boat Builder - they will list you as 'skilled labour'...
    Go to ANY Bank and open an account - tell them that you are a Naval Architect with a P. Eng and post graduate - N. Arch - they will ask you to prove same - where you studied and such - and list you as a Professional -they will re-evaluate all your stats. and interest valuations -and then hell - they will send out some teenager in thigh high stockings to come at you with a donut and the good coffee - you could date her...
    I am sorry if I pissed anyone off - but I have been in this for 23 years...
    F'ck it - at the end of the day - eat, drink, get laid, lower your taxes...
    I AM OUT...
    SH.

1 person likes this.
  4. Hotfuzz

Hotfuzz New Member

Not completely...

A bank would evaluate you on your debt/equity ratio, and your credit rating(experience, dare we say).
    When I went to buy my house at 22 years old, it was my experience as a millwright, or ability to hold a job, that got me a mortgage, not the shiny new diploma.

Two points here, experience and education are both very valuable, especially good experience and good education.

A good attitude and respect for others knowledge is just as important.

Sean sounds like he has the first well in hand, he just needs to work on the second and he could really be somebody.

5. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Sean IS somebody.

Who the hell are you?

6. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Ah ****...

Hello...

You know what - I addressed the original question - posted it in my own way - based on my own experience - if it was not gentle - or politically correct - or if it offended some thin skins - so F'cking what - forums like this are like TV or radio - if you do not like it - change the channel - but unlike same - you can just just plug me onto your ignore list - all at your pleasure and all at your leisure...

If you think I am such a waste of time then why do you do so - are you going to make me a better person online - knat...

Everyone comes to the table - a bunch of over sensitive yes men get nothing done...

As for the original question - you are where I once was - I am somewhat jealeous and bitter at 40 young years - I am sorry if I pissed people off - but I will close with this - It is your life man - if you lacked strong mentors - well that is just too F'in bad - it is your life - it is your call - what are you afraid of - who is judging you - all I can say - is that you can only see what is front of you - just JUMP...

If you fail - you can only tell those that you meet that you succeed in finding things that do not work - which only leads to finding what does - unless you are a potato with toothpicks for arms made by a 6 year old in art class - oh God - I digress...

I am rambling again - sorry all...

Mind my spelling - I am not even going to bother checking same - I am dizzy on diesel...

SH.

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Hotfuzz, Sean shows his respect in different ways. You just have to get to know him. Who the h-e-double hockey sticks ARE you, RCMP?

Welcome to the thread.

8. camotero

camotero New Member

Damn degrees...

I can't help but being a little worried about the little degree thing. It's just that I've grown hearing the same thing Sean says about how important it is traditionally to have it in order to be recognized easilly not only as skilled labor but as someone with the capabillity complete a 4-5year project succesfully and such... I have to say that from everything I've read I'm conviced that in order to design boats/yachts you should get the best education that works for you, but the bottom line is that you're only going to learn working with the people that get the things done... And that you're going to be valued on a basis of your work, portfolio, recommendations; these are going to be a better presentation than a NA degree that everyone thinks is so general in content, and that lacks the hands on experience (like in any other discipline)... All that being said... I go back to my original idea of a post: I'm a civil engineer with a degree from a reputable institution... Do you think this will cover the "Degree part" of the equation working in the marine design industry? I would start working right away in whatever yacht design firm that'll take me just paying the necessary to live and to pay for a yacht design educatoin through YDS. I'm proficient at CAD so I guess I could at least be hired as draftsman. I think I have the degree to prove I can do the whole "5yr project" thing and would concentrate on learning all I could, while not being worried about getting a NA degree/diploma.

9. Paul Kotzebue

Paul Kotzebue Previous Member

Yes, provided your course work is, or is equivalent to, an ABET accredited program.

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

A degree is only important of you're looking for a J.O.B (just over broke ;)). It only tells the employer you had the guts to see the course through and 'might' know something. No guarantees however. The fresh 'engineers' I have met are so full of themselves but knows squat, doen't know a spanner drom a shifting. Most graduates turn into pen pushers and never again set foot in the shop to wear an overall and do actual something physical. They get this chip on the shoulder kind of thing.

Now if this degree carrier is so clever, why on earth would he apply for a job in the first place ?

Even if you have zero degrees, or diplomas or human appointed forms of appraisal or qualifications and you know what you're doing and you can do the job, then what's wrong with that ? Not too long ago there wasn't a qualifying institute, and look at the stuff that was made then.

Actually, every one has so much more at his disposal, computers, the internet, basically unlimited knowledge, as well as shared knowledge from others. How much easier can it get. What scares me is the guy who looked at something then in two weeks time he's some kind of boat design and build expert. Some has never been on the water on a boat yet.

11. hoytedow

We have a president like that. He wants to run all our business but he never once built anything except organizing thugs at voting booths.

12. fg1inc

fg1inc Guest

Sometimes these threads seem to be more about angry people moving through life rather than about dynamic shapes moving through water.

13. hoytedow

I spend less time angry than most, but anger can be a good thing. It keeps us from laying down for the headsman. Does that take a dynamic shape for you?

14. fg1inc

fg1inc Guest

Yep, that works!

15. hoytedow

Oh, whichever coward gave me the neg rep for post #56 without signing it, thanks. It illustrates how snakes in the grass operate. At least when I give neg rep you know it came from me.

Since I posted that last year, there has been a lot more damage done by the ********* in the regime.

How's that hope and change working for you? Have boat-building materials become less expensive and more available? Are folks more able to afford boats?