Masthead taper

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by dreamer, Aug 4, 2008.

1. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

Hello Folks,

It's been a long while since I've posted here. Time flies when you're having...errr..when you're...ummm. Well, when you're busy. ;)

I'm trying to get an idea of what the taper on a masthead would look like. I've read Selden's description of how it's formed, but I'm still not clear what it looks like. Does the entire mast section taper (keeping the overall profile shape) or does it only taper in one direction (distorting the profile shape)?

Pics would be very helpful.

TIA

Rick

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

There are different types of tapers.

For a normal masthead rig, aluminum spar, the taper is usually a wedge of material taken out of the side walls. This changes the overall profile. You will want to cut a small relief curve at the bottom of the wedge to help when you pull the fronta and back together. Be sure to use a very rigid strongback holding the aft side of the mast straight when you weld up the taper.

On some racing fractional rigs you can see what is commonly called the "Farr" taper. That is made by taking four wedges out of the profile and causes a very quick taper from just above the hounds to a much smaller diameter. You can have extremes where a 6" x 4" mast section tapers very quickly and actually becomes about the diameter of a silver dollar at the masthead. Of course you need jumpers on this type of rig.

Less extreme fractional rigs use a more aggressive version of the masthead taper.

Now with Carbon rigs you can lay up pretty much whatever profile you wish.

3. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

Thanks Paul for the detailed response.

What is the purpose of the taper? Is it simply to reduce weight aloft?