Self tacking jib options

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Scuff, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Good choice.

You will lose almost half of the book's potential if you don't vang it.

There isn't enough room to use an in-line single pivot vang. You will need a vang track or utilize twin blocks on each toe rail.

Once the boom rotates forward of the vang's deck attachment, the vang will start to effect the sheeting angle.

The greatest vang power will be achieved by pulling on the aft end of the boom from the toenail just after of the boom's deck pivot piont.

2. Robert Biegler

Robert Biegler Senior Member

The Bierig Camber Spar is half a wishboom inserted into a pocket in the sail. Wind pressure in the sail makes it flip from one side to the other. You can see some examples, and apparently buy some, at CamberSpar http://coletech.net/camberspar

I haven't seen one in real life or on video, but I like the concept enough, that is what I would try first, unless someone told me a good reason not to.

3. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

It holds the sail at a constant camber. Not necessarily the desired camber.
    Doesn't give leach tension adjustment.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.