Interperating multi specs

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by koganei74, Jun 17, 2009.

1. koganei74

koganei74 New Member

Would anyone be so kind as to comment on how to interperate these specs? In terms of sailing performance, relative stability, etc. I might be jumping the gun here, but if these are fairly conservative design specs, is it possible to 'turbo' this boat a little. The design comes from K designs and is a light weight cruising cat.

Loa /Lwl 7.50/7.75 m *
    Beam 4.50 m
    Draft (ex. Rudder) 0.30 m
    Draft dagger board down 1.30 m
    Weight empty approximate 750.00 kg
    Weight max. CWL 1384 kg
    Sail area sloop rig 28.60 m2
    Sail area Wishbone gaff rig 27.60 m2
    L : B ratio hulls 1: 9
    B ratio hulls 46,66% effective
    Outboard engine about 2 x 5 Hp
    Electric drive 2 x 1.5 kW
    * incl. rudder
    Static righting moment 2.200 kgm

2. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

"L : B ratio hulls 1: 9"

These are pretty fat hulls. So that will limit speed however big a rig you put on it.

"B ratio hulls 46,66% effective"

No idea what that means

750 kgs sounds a bit optimistic for a bridgedeck cabinned cat
    We use a 6hp LS outboard on our 25ft cat which is perfectly adequate

Sailing in the San Juans and Gulf Islands (I write this on Saturna, only about 20 miles from you) means sailing in light winds and flat water. So most European designed boats (including mine) tend to be underrigged. So more sail would be an advantage, but see above.

Hope this helps

Incidentally, have you contacted NWMA and BCMS - the two local multihull associations??

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

3. koganei74

koganei74 New Member

Thanks Richard,

I've been a monohull sailor all my life, but now look to multis to provide a fast, family cruiser for the San Juans. Having grown up on windsurfers, skiffs and now kiteboards and melges boats, I am looking for something that can happy accomodate a family of 4 for cruising (reefed I'd imagine), but then also be fully turboed for some fun!

I see that you have a few designs that might fit this criteria. Also trailerable would be great. Do you have any recommendations? Are there any of your designs that have been built in this area? I am familiar with both strip and hard chined construction and am planning on building myself.

Thanks.

4. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

probably best if you email me using the address on my website, as I see you don't accept PM's

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.