Self-service sailboat inspection

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Dr. Peter, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter Junior Member

2. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Prices from such a distance may not be an ideal guide to value in your location. A product that is in demand increases in value far from its source due to delivery costs and availability issues, otherwise value usually decreases due to problems with spares or unfamiliarity.

3. Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter Junior Member

Version 2 of self-service sailboat inspection

It has got bigger - thank you for the suggestions and directions to Websites. I think I have something I can use for my self-service sailboat survey / inspection anyway.
    Peter

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

4. Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter Junior Member

Outcome

We finally bought a new second-hand boat. The price was good, the boat is sound and has some nice updates (new electrics, the cabin has been done up) and the work to do is within my budget and doable.

To be honest I did not use the checklist as a survey document but more of an aide-memoir to myself as I inspected the boat.

BTW I did not purchase the Dehlya 22. I revised my budget after determining that the boat would only be used for cruising and could spend a lot of time in the shed. II ended buying an Australian design and made shoal-draft trailer sailer of 18 and a half foot (An Investigator 563). It was very well priced (about half the money). The mainsail is buggered but a new one still keeps me inside my budget - so that's OK. It also needed an outboard but I already have a relatively new one.

Thanks to all who contributed to the thread - it helped my wife and I to purchase a second-hand boat we are both happy with.

Regards to all,
    Peter

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.